Chapter 23: Heir

Word had arrived that Georgina Havilliard was breezing the new gates of Aerynelle right as of this moment. Dorian had reached the front garden, Manon, his queen, whose title he was never less proud to use, by his side. His mother, her stark red hair was streaked with gray, was still standing proud despite her old age.

His brother, Hollin, now in his late twenties, was grimacing at the snowy garden, his pale freckled face a portrait of disdain. The freckles were the only thing he had to distinguish himself from their father. It gave him an innocent look, though he was anything but.

"Dorian, my boy," Georgina called, running an eye over him, those green eyes narrowed and her lips pursed as they snapped towards Manon, who only smiled coldly, her teeth poking out. Pearly whites, not iron. Not yet.

"Mother," he nodded, glancing once at his brother ", Hollin."

"And to what do we owe this visit?" Manon said, not even muttering a greeting. He'd have to thank her later since he honestly didn't want to stall any more time with pleasantries either.

"You know I heard the gossip," snapped his mother, her feathered fan fluttering over her face even as her eyes hid nothing ", Your princess is frolicking with another lady, yet your supposed son, your heir, is also now associating himself with another man?"

"Male," Manon snapped ", It does not matter who they decide to spend the rest of their life with, they are immortal."

Dorian coughed pointedly ", What my dear wife wanted to say was, Eyvin was not meant to be the next in line, he knows that his sister was the heiress."

The former queen of Adarlan scoffed ", What? Not only do you want a lady on the throne, but one that is unable to produce an heir?"

"They are immortal," Dorian said curtly.

"One cannot simply rule forever," Georgina said, pointing a finger at them both ", I know for a fact you both are going to retire after another few decades or so."

"What are you trying to say, Georgina?" Manon said, her voice low and lethal. Dorian didn't pause at the growl in her tone, she knew what she was doing.

"I want to see them produce an heir, one of them, I want to see a proper king and queen on the throne," she said primly.

It went silent after that, Dorian could sense the cold that had settled over his mate at the words 'proper' as if intending to say that their offspring was unfit for the throne. He felt the urge to snap back a reply when Hollin opened his mouth.

"And what happens, dear brother," his brother saud slyly ", When both your children retire and I take the throne?"

-

"Eyvin?" 

"Maven? Eyvin called back, glancing towards the doorway from his perch on his bed in the Blackbeak Keep, a map splayed before him. The door clicked and violet eyes peeked at him through the doorway. "What do you need?"

"I wanted to go through the plan once more," said the young Fae, strutting through and plopping down next to him with a confidence that could rival his own flamboyance.

"If you're going to say that it's too dangerous-" he started, his eyes narrowing.

Maven barked a laugh ", Oh it is hella dangerous, that part I know, I just wanted to make sure you know what you're doing."

"Why?" the prince snapped.

Maven's smile fell, his eyes averted as his voice dropped to soft purring whisper, Eyvin always thought he sounded like a cat, not quite feline, but...cat-like. "We're going to the realm of death," Maven said harshly ", You seem to forget that you too can die."

"Are you doubting me?"

The young High Lord reached for Eyvin's hand, his pale skin stark against Eyvin's golden's fingers. His focus narrowed on that small contact, his eyes glued onto their intertwined fingers pressed on the bedsheets.

"Eyvin," Maven said coldly ", You seem to not understand that nightmares are too apart of death. Your long gone nightmares shall be there, they will come for you, coming back from the grave."

"Aryna died because of my actions," Eyvin said quietly ", I can handle it."

Maven stared at him, his violet eyes peering into the leftover scraps of his soul, his grip tightening on the prince's hand, something glinted in his eyes, worry or determination, he couldn't tell.

He couldn't decide if he hated or cherished this bond of understanding between them.

But for now, he'll give it a chance.

"You know," Maven purred with casual grace ", I would kiss you as of now, but I am a male of class, therefore I shall wait for you to do when you wish."

"Trust me," Eyvin agressively murmured, tightening his hand on his hand.

"I do," was all the High Fae said before prying his hand off and left.

-

hello peeps

sorry for late update

i have things to do

like joining 4 edit contests all at once

and watching yt videos

and stuff