one

'outerbanks, paradise on earth' read the sign i just passed on the road to my new home. a frustrated face grew into a happy one as the thought of new beginnings entered my mind.

wind blew in through my rolled down window making my hair fly all over.

as i crossed the bridge towards the island my rustic old volkswagen camper stalled. 'fuck' i muttered. the door squeaked loudly as i swung it open to check what had happened. i lifted up the bonnet to loads of smoke in my face.

"Fuck. Fuck. Fuck." I repeated in frustration. This is the last thing I needed. I looked to my side seeing a sign that read 'parking charge $200'. "Fuck."

I checked my phone. "No service? Are you shitting me."

I slipped my phone back into my jean pocket and sat on the pavement prepared to stop any car that passed for a little help.

Many cars drove by totally ignoring my calls for help until a fellow camper drivers breaks started screeching indicating it was slowing down.

One the van came to a full stop I could just about make out who was in the car. A tall boy about 6'1, very tanned with too many freckles to count. He reminded me of my old bestfriend back in atlanta..

"Need any help?" His voice was rich. Deep but not intimidating deep. It's a safe kind of deep. Like he can protect me, in a way.

"That would be amazing! She doesn't break down much, just been a super long road trip all the way from Atlanta." His face looked shocked. "Atlanta? Really. You're joking right?" When he saw that my face didn't change in the slightest he quickly picked up that I wasn't joking at all. "Oh shit you're serious."

A light chuckle escaped "Yeah, sort of running away I guess, no plans either really."

The boy looked at me for a second or two too long. I just stood there. Awkwardly. As usual. 'So, you want a ride?' He asked.