chapter 14

Clawdeen was getting better. Getting support from Frankie, Lagoona, Gill, Jackson, Spectra, Phantonian, Deuce, Ghoulia and Slow Moe really helped her get through the torment she was receiving from Cleo, Clawd and Draculara. Cleo had kicked her off the fearleading squad, believing that Clawdeen would become a bad influence for the rest of the squad, making them all go out and date traitors. Clawdeen saw this as extremely naïve seeing as how every other girl on the squad already had a boyfriend, but she wouldn't complain because it meant that she had more time to share with Toralei.

Clawd was being vicious to her every chance he got. He would spit out different names like 'traitor' and 'furry pushover'. Clawdeen would try to ignore him even though the names got to him. She would simply go tot Howleen and tell her younger sister about it. Howleen didn't tell Clawdeen, but every time the werewolf came to her to vent about their brother, Howleen would always go to Clawd and scream at him afterwards. Draculara just stayed distant; she didn't invite Clawdeen over anymore, wouldn't talk to the furry fashionista… the pink vampire barely even looked at her. It made Clawdeen really upset that Draculara would throw away years of friendship just for one year of dating.

Whenever things got too out of hand and Clawdeen became too emotional, she would go up to the roof and cry until Toralei came to make her feel better. The werecat seemed to always know when Clawdeen needed a shoulder to cry on. Days turned into weeks and weeks gradually turned to months. Before Clawdeen knew it, there were only two months left in the school year. She was thinking of asking Toralei to the end of school dance with her, but didn't know how to go about it. As Clawdeen mused over the subject, she didn't realize that Toralei was having some serious problems with their relationship.
Toralei snarled in frustration as Meowlody and Purrsephone once again tried to persuade her out of dating Clawdeen. They were on their way to the lunch room to get lunch so that Toralei could sneak up to the roof once more.
"You two shouldn't even consider being friends." Meowlody ranted. "Our kind has never liked theirs. They've always been obnoxious and dirty and smelly and-."
"But it's ok to date a werewolf and then break his heart?" Toralei demanded, something inside of her finally snapping. "It's ok to make him have some hope that someone finally took an interest in him just so that you could toss him down again?"
"Of course!" Meowlody retorted. "As long as you have no real feelings for him it's completely ok to do that."

Toralei was about to growl something else when two muscular arms pulled her into an empty classroom and stuffed her into a chair. "What's the big idea?" Toralei snarled, jumping up immediately.
A light switch flicked on and the room was filled with people that didn't like Toralei; at the front of the crowd were Draculara, Cleo and Clawd. "The big idea is that you need to stay away from my sister." Clawd said, leaning against a desk.
"What makes you think I'll do that, wolf boy?"
"Because I don't want her getting hurt." The werewolf smirked.
"I'm not going to break her heart!" Toralei growled, flexing her claws angrily.
"She won't believe that when she hears this." He held up a tape recorder and played back Toralei's previous words about dating werewolves. "With a little editing, this could sound like you were plotting to dump her. And I would really hate for that to happen without me being there to comfort her."
"But I'm not planning to dump her." Toralei said slowly, eyes narrowing as she tried to figure out the entirety of the plan.
"Oh, but you are." Clawd said, grinning maliciously. "You see, Stripe. I don't like the idea of a cat being with my sister; a sleazy, lowdown, lying cat at that. So you are going to break up with Clawdeen in the most public way possible and then you are going to stay away from her. Understood?"
"I won't do it!" Toralei hissed. "I've worked too hard to get her to trust me. This would leave her broken and unable to trust me ever again!"
"Exactly. Then she wouldn't be tempted to date another cat because she'll have it in her mind that cats are heartbreakers. Then she'll find someone else. Someone worthy of her love."
Toralei's eyes narrowed to slits so that only a portion on the green was visible. "I won't do it and you can't make me."
"Oh really?" Clawd raised an eyebrow and clapped his paws twice.
All at once, the students in the classroom jumped Toralei. The werecat could barely breathe from so many blows being rained upon her. After several long minutes of the torture, Clawd clapped his paws and the students stepped back to reveal a very blood and bruised Toralei.
"You will break up with her before the end of the week or it will be even worse. Understood?"
Toralei looked up at him defiantly and shook her head. It continued on like this for the entirety of lunch until Toralei felt herself nearing the end of her first life. With a resigned sigh, she looked up at Clawd between swollen eyes and nodded slowly.
"Good." Clawd said happily. "You can go now."
All of the students rushed out of the room as the bell to get back to class rang, some taking care to step on Toralei as they passed her. When everyone was gone, Toralei crawled out of the classroom and down the hall into one of the ghouls' bathrooms. There, she locked herself in a stall and cried, fearing what she head to do and dreading the day she'd have to do it.