chapter 16

Clawdeen sulked in her room for the rest of the weekend. Clawd asked Howleen how she was doing, but the redhead only shook her head and sighed. Howleen was really worried about her sister; Clawdeen hadn't cried this much since her first kitten died when she was only two dog years old. Clawdeen seemed inconsolable and that was deeply worrying her family and friends. More than once, Frankie or Draculara would try coaxing her out, but Clawdeen simply turned away from them and continued to cry.

On Monday, Clawdeen wanted to stay home, but she knew that she couldn't get behind on her work, so she slid out of bed and trudged to the bathroom, showering and getting dressed, not bothering to put on make-up. Today, she just went with a short black skirt, white long-sleeved turtleneck and white strap on heels. Clawdeen's stomach felt empty, but it didn't growl and the food didn't look as appetizing as it usually would, so Clawdeen just grabbed her backpack and headed out the door.
Clawd and Howleen watched her go with confused faces and glanced at each other in puzzlement. Hurrying to finish their breakfast, the two raced out the door, grabbing their bags on the way. They saw Clawdeen walking up ahead and raced to catch up.

"Hey Clawdeen, do you want to go butterfly catching with me later?" Howleen asked conversationally. "It would help you stretch a bit."
Clawdeen shook her head with a sigh and said, "I don't think I'm up for it Howleen. Maybe one of your friends can go with you."
Howleen's ears drooped for a second and she turned to Clawd, waving her paw for him to try. "Well, maybe you'd like to come to casketball practice with me after school?" Clawd inquired hopefully. "You can help me show Heath Burns who the best casketbal playing monsters are."
"I don't really like casketball, Clawd." Clawdeen replied, her eyes still trained on the ground. "Maybe Wolfie can help you; he loves casketball."
Clawd looked slightly surprised by this response and he glanced at Howleen helplessly. The two siblings sighed in defeat and left Clawdeen alone for the rest of the day, not wanting to upset her any further.
Toralei really didn't want to go to school. Mondays weren't really her favorite days of the week and she didn't want to risk running into Clawdeen. But after a heated argument with her parents, Toralei found herself wandering the halls of Monster High before school. The orange werecat felt her stomach begin throbbing, but simply ignored it; she didn't feel like eating.
At last, first bell rang and Toralei headed to Biteology. She didn't pay much attention to the teacher as her thoughts wandered to what Clawdeen could be doing. Toralei sighed heavily and wondered again whether Clawdeen could be her mate. The orange cat snorted and convinced herself that dogs and cats shouldn't be together. With that, Toralei set her jaw and tried to concentrate on the class. Of course, this proved difficult because a smiling laughing face kept invading her mind every five seconds, but Toralei ignored it.
When lunch came along, Toralei wasn't up for eating anything and simply went up to the roof to think on her current predicament. She had broken up with Clawdeen because of what her friends had told her. Cats don't belong with dogs; it just isn't natural. Cats loved napping in the sun and chasing mice. Dogs liked to play around and chase anything that moved. Cats were territorial and fierce; dogs went wherever they pleased and welcomed other dogs. They couldn't be together because they always fought.
Toralei's ears drooped at this and she sighed heavily, laying her head on her arms as she looked over the city. Everyone out there was probably living a happy normal life with someone they loved. If Toralei didn't know any better, she'd think that one of them out there wanted to be with her. But she did know better and she knew that none of the normies or monsters out there wanted her. Only one monster wanted her and that monster probably didn't even want to see her anymore. Toralei knew she was stupid for letting Clawdeen's older brother bully her into breaking up with her girlfriend.
"I'm even worse than the chickens I stalk at night." Toralei whispered venomously. "I should have let them kill me. It would have made me feel a lot better about this situation. Instead, I broke up with Clawdeen to save my own skin. I'm a monster and Clawdeen deserves better."