Dream Kills

There was a loud cackle that filled the silent woods as the person made their way into the deepest parts of the forest. She had something in her hand, something cold yet something that burned her hand. But she didn't care about that. All she cared about was seeing her again.

She had waited so long for the opportunity to bring her back and then, she had finally got it. She was only a few minutes away from seeing her again and wasn't going to disappoint her again, definitely not.

She was not going to trust anyone just to fail again. She wasn't going to be stupid like she had been the last time. She escaped, almost dying as she did so. Nobody knew about the secret entrance to the stupid table apart from her and her mistress.

At last, she reached the destination that she was heading for. She had kept an eye on this particular house for some time now. She looked at the boy that she was wanting to meet ever since she had figured out his life. It was just him and his mother living in that small house in the middle of the woods. They were very poor and hence lived their lives by stealing and collecting resources that the woods had to offer.

They had moved away from their abusive husband and father and searched for Narnians for a long time but they lost all hope when their search led them nowhere. They accepted their fate and continued to live in the middle of nowhere.

The person waiting in the shadows had once heard them pray for someone to help them out. They had prayed for someone to find them and remove them from the misery that was their lives and she knew exactly how to use the situation to manipulate the mother and the boy into getting what she wanted. After all, she only needed one drop. Just the one.

The hag walked towards the house and poked the boy, who was lighting a fire, who was malnourished and just wanted to eat. He got scared and moved away from the hag, screaming for his mother. "Don't worry." The hag said in a croaky voice.

"Do it." There was an icy voice that filled her ears - her voice.

The boy's mother came out of the house and stood in between her son and the hag. "Who are you?" She asked the small creature.

"I'm who is the one who has listened to you pray every night." The creature's voice croaked.

"Are you a Narnian?" The boy asked, just an innocent.

"Do it quickly." The icy voice spoke again.

"I am." It pained the creature to say so because she was just a humble servant and nothing more.

"Can you take us to the nearby Kingdom?" The mother asked.

"I can." The hag replied. "But first, you need to help me."

"What could we possible help you with?"

The hag chuckled and went at the two innocent lives with what she was holding.

"No!" I screamed as I stretched my right arm out, thinking that I could save them from the creature but I felt someone tackle me.

I opened my eyes.

There was a strong wind blowing and I looked around to see where I was

There was a strong wind blowing and I looked around to see where I was. "Oh no." I whispered as I realised where I was.

I was standing at the edge of the tower where I felt an invisible presence shove me forward. It was like a cold touch that pushed me off. I held onto the tower railings and tried not looking down.

"Help!" I screamed.

I knew nobody could hear me because it was the middle of the night and I was dangling from one of the highest towers. I tried to pull myself up but my palms were sweaty and the tower's base was wet from the snowfall.

"Oh no." I couldn't climb on due to the frost left behind by the snowfall.

I looked down and tried to see whether I had a chance to get to the lower tower by climbing down using the stones leaning out of the tower. I found that they made a pattern that led down. "This is going to be like rock climbing." I reassured myself as I kept my leg on the first stone. It didn't fall down and I gave out a shaky laughter.

I kept my other leg on the next stone and climbed down halfway till I was just a couple of feet away from the floor of the balcony of the lower tower when I realised that there weren't any more stones that I could use to climb down. I couldn't let go and risk a jump because I would definitely break something - ankle or arm was the bet. Basically, I was stuck there.

"Sophie!" I heard a voice from below me.

"Caspian!" My eyes filled up with tears. "Help me, please!"

"How did you get there?"

"I would love to tell you!"

"Right. Sorry." He said. "Let go!" He screamed.

"What?"

"I'll catch you. Trust me!" He screamed against the windspeed.

I thought about my odds at surviving. I was standing a few feet over and if I let go, I knew that I could hurt my ankle or my arm. But Caspian was asking me to trust him. I didn't want him to get hurt because of him. "No time to think, Sophie! Let go!"

I had no other choice. "You'll catch me, right?"

"Always."

I took a deep breath, prayed to Aslan, closed my eyes and let go. I was expecting to hit the ground but I was in Caspian's arms. "Caspian?" I whispered as I opened my eyes.

"I'm stronger than I look." He joked. I wrapped my arms around his neck. I started to sob as he slowly set me down on the floor. "What happened?" He brushed the hair from my face as he cupped my face.

"I wasn't trying to....." I tried speaking through the sobs. "I didn't jump."

"I know you didn't." He hugged me and kissed my hair. He wiped my face softly and the warmth of his hand made me break down even more. "What happened?" He asked me once again.