Chapter 4: The Uncle

It was almost night time when Ruka and I started to walk back to the headquarters, after we spent the rest of our time in the carnival to forget about our fears and worries. We also bought some food for Monica and Techna who were at the headquarters for the whole day.

"Do you think this is enough for Monica? You know how she eats like a beast right?"

"Hey don't be rude! But I can't say it's not true..."

I said as I opened the door and we unexpectedly saw my uncle standing there. Ruka and I jumped a little in surprise.

"Aaahhhh! G-General Alessio! I didn't know you were here!"

"U-Uncle! You scared us..."

He chuckles before he opens the door wide open and says.

"I've been waiting here for you two for quite some time, luckily those two girls were here to keep me company. Also..."

He paused as he looked at Ruka as the expression on his face turned serious.

"What were you doing alone with my niece?"

"Wait: Hold on! I-It's not what you think-"

"I was fine with it when you were all just kids. But now, you're all grown up, I can no longer let that slip by."

"Uncle, please... We just went to the carnival and had fun, that's all. Nothing else happened."

After saying those words, I then realized it was a mistake, and just made things worse.

"You were alone. With my niece. And went to the carnival."

"Oh boy... here it comes."

"And you didn't bring me any food?!"

"Wait what..."

Ruka and I said at the same time, wide-eyed at what we just heard, we both were expecting a different answer, but not something like that. My uncle then laughs and rubs our heads.

"I'm just kidding with you two. Come in now, it's getting dark soon."

Ruka and I slowly walked inside and about to head to the kitchen but stopped as my uncle called me.

"Shara, if it's alright... Can I talk with you? Please."

I looked at him as he called me, I then looked at Ruka and gave him the other bag that I was holding and said.

"You go on ahead, I'll catch up with you and the others later on."

Ruka nods at me before heading to the kitchen as I walk to my uncle. He then walked upstairs and headed to the rooftop as I followed him. I didn't know that he knows this place better than I do. I saw him sitting there, looking up at the stars.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it is."

I said as I sat down beside him and looked up as well. The stars are shining brightly in the night sky. After looking at it for a few minutes, I then remembered a story that he used to tell me when I was little.

"Hey Uncle, do you still remember how you used to tell me a story before I go to sleep?"

"Shara, dear. You're already old enough for that."