002. Risky Business

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ REMEMBER ME LIKE THIS — RISKY BUSINESS ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙MONTHS LATER

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ REMEMBER ME LIKE THISRISKY BUSINESS ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙
MONTHS LATER...

     Days off for Esme were rare, and it was even rarer that she spends them dicking around with her friend group, but today was different.  It was a gorgeous day in the Outer Banks, warm and breezy.  It would be a shame to spend it inside.  "That's what, a three-story fall to the deck?  I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival." Pope said.

     "Hm.  Should I do it?"

     "Yeah, jump," Pope said.  Esme rolled her eyes as Claire laughed.  "I'll shoot you on the way down."

     "You'll shoot me?" John B asked, almost offended as he had trouble standing up straight.  It was obvious the boys were far gone as the girls sat around the rest of the unbuilt house and soaked up the afternoon sun.

     "Yep.  Pow!"

     "They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers," Kie walked back out with a look of disgust on her face.

     "Of course.  Why wouldn't they?" JJ said, not really caring.

     "This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess?"

     "I can't have cold towels."

     Claire turned to Kie.  "You'll have many chances to save many turtles in your life, babe."

     "Yeah, and literally everyone cares about the turtles, Kie," Esme added, nodding as she started to feel a little warm like she might need to slow down on the alcohol and weed consumption when she was around these people.  More specifically, JJ.

     Kiara nodded before turning her attention to John B standing on the roof.  "Can you please not kill yourself?" Kiara leaned her body against the ledge where Claire was sitting.

     Claire knew she shouldn't feel jealous over Kiara's growing favouritism of John B, his dad, after all, was still missing, and it was obvious he was getting worried.  With that, John B's attitude and mood swings were rubbing off on the group and creating buddy anxiety within their circle.  Claire knew Kiara was just doing her best to care for him without smothering him, but sometimes she felt like it wasn't fair and she missed Kiara.  Or at least, Kiara before this summer.

     "Don't spill that beer.  I'm not giving you another one," JJ said.

     "He can have mine," Esme groaned.

     JJ frowned.  "What's wrong, S?  Not good enough for your majesty?"  he teased, a smile tugging on his face as he tried not to cave into the girl sitting across the patio from him.  She rolled her eyes, and he had to stick his tongue in cheek before saying something else.