Chapter 10

Diana expertly buckled Emmi into her carseat and offered a comforting smile.

"Mama? What if I feel too scared to be little?"

"Then that's how you feel, baby. I won't force you to be little when you aren't feeling that way. If you're somewhere in the middle, or start slipping into headspace, then that's all okay. There are no rules, Em. Well, no rules other than the ones Mama has for you."

The tall woman gave a playful wink as she stood back up and shut the car door.

The small girl held her sippy cup tightly in her hands as her Mama began the drive to the mall.

"Mama? Will someone make fun of me?"

"This is the ageplay-friendly mall we visited once before. Remember? No one will make fun of you for being yourself. And if they do...they have to answer to me."

Emmi nodded slowly despite her caregiver being unable to see her. The girl was trying stay calm and remind herself of the first visit where there were no issues or incidents.

"Mama? What if I do end up feeling little but then I'm too little to play?"

Diana sighed. This was only their second time out together and the brunette was clearly beyond nervous. The first trip to the mall went well enough, but Emmi was now worried about interacting with other littles and putting herself out there.

"I'll be watching you. If I think you're slipping really deep into headspace, I'll come and get you. The playground might be a little too much for a baby and we don't want you getting hurt or overwhelmed."

"Okay, Mama" the girl said quietly.

The rest of the drive continued with only the sound of the radio and Diana's occasional humming.

"We here?" the little girl said coming out of her daydream after feeling the car come to a stop.

"Yes, ma'am. Ready to go play?"

"I think so."

Emmi remained silent as she was taken out of her carseat and subsequently declined to be carried. She instead clutched one of her caregiver's fingers in a single, small hand.

As they entered the mall, the girl made sure to take in her surroundings. To her relief, only a handful of people were walking past the entrance.

"There's the playground! And it's got dragons and castles just like your highchair!"

The tiny girl did find the playground's theme very appealing. However, the number of littles already playing, coupled with the caregivers seated and supervising, was much less exciting.

"Lotsa people" she mumbled.

Diana gave a sympathetic smile and continued leading them over to an empty bench.