Chapter 8

Diana found that, though it pained her to hear about what her little girl had suffered in the past, the admission and subsequent conversation brought her and Emmi even closer. The small brunette felt as though she was able to get something off her chest, while the black haired woman thought the new information would help to make her a better caregiver and girlfriend.

Unfortunately, that morning, Emmi had to be taken back home; bringing an end to the several days they were able to spend together. The tall woman had no idea just how empty her apartment, and heart, felt without having the tiny girl with her.

Diana decided that the best way to keep herself from stewing over the girl's absence was to throw herself into her work. Admittedly, she had mostly neglected her projects in favor of spending time with Emmi. She had absolutely no regrets or remorse in doing so, but knew she needed to do a bit of catching up.

For several hours, the tall woman worked steadily and uninterrupted. She finally decided to take a break and stood from her desk to go grab a drink from the kitchen.

Upon entering, she realized she had left her phone on the counter. A wave of nerves hit the woman as she saw a number of texts from her little girl.

Emmi: Mommy!

Emmi: I miss you so much.

Emmi: Mama!

Emmi: I'm sorry.

Emmi: I know we've only been apart for a few hours.

Emmi: I don't want to bother you.

Letting out a sigh, Diana tried to formulate an appropriate response. She had no intention of ignoring Emmi on purpose and making her feel like a burden.

Diana: Hi, baby. Mama has been very busy with work all day and left her phone in the kitchen. I would never ignore you on purpose and miss you very much!

After sending the message, the woman quickly returned to her office to determine the overall status of her current projects. Seeing as though she had made significant progress and was now on track, a plan started to come together in the woman's mind.

Emmi sat on her loveseat clutching her dragon stuffie to her chest. She sighed and buried her head into the plush toy as she tried not to think about just how much she missed Diana. Her small, cramped apartment, coupled with the loneliness inside her, threatened to suffocate her at any moment.

"I just...how do I know she isn't just saying that to make me feel better?" the girl said sadly to her toy. "Mommy wouldn't lie though...She wouldn't!"

Letting out another long sigh, the girl scooted down a bit so she could lay on her side and curl up with her dragon.

She remained in that position for a short period of time until a series of abrupt, loud knocks on the door startled her.

Slowly, the girl unfurled herself from her place on the loveseat and stood on shaky legs. She had less than zero expectations for any visitors and found the suddenness of the knocking unsettling.

Approaching cautiously, she unlocked the door and paused momentarily. After taking a deep breath, she pulled the handle to swing the door open and stepped back to give a bit more space between herself and the outside occupant.