Chapter Nine

As Aimee sat down on the bus, she glanced to her left. The bus was already moving, so she was already too far forward to see if Deny was still there. She thought he probably was, watching the bus drive off. She shook her head, and got her phone out of her bag. She really didn't know what to think of him.

Well, he was a nice enough guy. He was good looking. He seemed really genuine and strong and protective. She got a really good buzz out of being with him. But the cons outweighed the pros, surely? He was technically family, as he was Jenny's stepbrother – a bit incestuous, maybe? He was clearly on the rebound, having just split up from his wife. And the speed at which he'd begun to show his interest unnerved her for some reason.

She looked at her phone, and distracted herself by looking at Tinder again. George, no, swipe left. Craig, no, swipe left. Perry. Well, she hadn't seen him on here before. He looked interesting. Apparently he was in the local area. 38 years old, so quite a bit older than her, but perhaps that didn't matter. Swipe right.

That was a match, to Aimee's surprise. Might be worth meeting up with him at some point, seeing as she was now spending quite a lot of time in this area. That seemed the most sensible option. It could end badly if she pursued any romantic interest in the men in her sister's life.

***

A few nights later, and Aimee was having dinner with her father after work. She'd made macaroni cheese for them both, and it seemed to be a success, as he was very quiet.

"So," he said to her, after a long silence, "What have you got going on at the moment?"

She looked at him. "What are you fishing for, Dad?"

"Nothing," he said with a smile. "I'm just interested in your life, and you haven't said a lot to me recently."

"I didn't think you'd approve," she said.

"I knew it," he said. "You've seen her again, haven't you?"

"A few times," Aimee admitted. "Dad, won't you reconsider?"

"Does she want to meet me?"

Aimee didn't know what to say.

"Well, there you go then," Alan said, and took another mouthful of his macaroni cheese.

Aimee sighed. "I went round her house on Saturday. I met her children."

"Children?"

"Yes, Dad. You have two grandchildren."

He put his cutlery down. "Why are you telling me this, Aimee?"

"How can I not, Dad? You have two grandchildren. A nine year old boy, and a baby girl. So yes, I met them on Saturday. Then on Sunday night I met her brother and sister. Well, stepbrother and stepsister, anyway."

"So, May got married?"

Aimee nodded.

"Who'd she marry?"

Aimee swallowed. This was definite progress. "Er.. I can't remember the surname. But his name is Mike. Apparently she met him when she did his hair and makeup, he was a TV actor."

"He used to be in something... some soap opera.. I can't remember."

"Oh really?"