Chapter 5

I should have known that having breakfast with Riley would have some sort of drama involved. But then again, I sensed today would have lots of drama, whether I like it or not.

Persuading Desmond to go for the party was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my entire life.

It took lots of arm wrestling contests, loads of pep talking, and even more lectures of 'being safe' from Aunt Mary and Calum.

I wasn't surprised when he finally caved in. I mean, Aunt Mary can be persuasive, and man was she persuasive today. She even let me go to a nearby coffee shop to meet Riley and her crew.

I though the rest would come, but only Riley showed up.

She looked pretty as usual; wearing a floral dress and light princess make-up, I almost felt underdressed in her presence. I was just wearing a simple cropped hoodie and tights that accentuated my curves a little more.

Not simple but not extravagant; that's Dawn for you.

I sat down and saw her immediately beam, "You look beautiful."

I look like a goddess, sweetie. Get it right.

"You look amazing, Riley." I complimented her.

Hey, I may be rude and arrogant, but I have a soft spot for people, okay?

"My brother couldn't make it." She frowned, making that nice nude lipstick go to waste, "But he said he'll see you at the party."

"Who is your brother, anyways?" I needed to ask, cause he seems to know more about my life in Aussie than I intended anyone to know, "Can you at least tell me his name?"

She leaned back in her chair and sipped on her coffee, "He asked me to keep it a secret. He wants to surprise you."

I almost replied when a waiter came to ask for my order. And I ordered; coffee. Black. Just like my soul when Dad died.

Riley scrunched up her face when I said my order, "Do you even have a soul?"

I shook my head, "No, I don't think so."

"Good. I don't have one either." She muttered, then a fresh smile returned on her face, "I think we could actually be best friends, you know."

And I agree with you 100%, Cinderella.

"Me too. I mean, you're not tired of my attitude and that's a good thing, right?" I smiled, I actually like being honest with her. She buys everything I say.

She nodded, "Yeah, you haven't shown me much so..." She then looked at me with a serious adorable face, "So, why'd you move to DC?"

I think I should tell her. Maybe I should. Oh f*cking hell, why am I so conflicted?

"My father passed away," her face fell, just like mine when I heard the news, "And I wanted a new start. And a new start required space from what I was used to."

"Who made the decision to move you out here? Your mom?"

"No. I made the decision myself." I said with full confidence as my coffee arrived, "It was hard. Because I was leaving my life there, my boyfriend, my friends, everything there. Just for some time to heal."

"Oh." Riley said, "My brother lived in Aussie with my mom. He came back for his senior year, though."

"Your parents are divorced?" I asked, hoping she'd actually shed some light on her personal life to me.

She nodded, "My mom had an affair, and it wasn't fair to Dad. So, he took me and my brother, but then my brother decided to leave to go be with mom." She closed her eyes, "But now he's back. And wants to start over too."