Chapter 1

"Dawn, here's everything you absolutely need." My mom said, tears streaming down her face, "I know you want to start over, and going to your Aunt Mary is a good idea because-"

"You're not in the right state of mind to take care of me," I replied, "I know."

She sniffled and watches as I put on my cardigan, "I'll be fine mom. Aunt Mary already secured a place for me at Plata Highschool."

"I know it's just that," she pulled me into a deep hug, "I'm not ready to let you go."

I struggled to keep back my tears, "Me too, mom. I promise I'll come visit you."

She nodded and went down the stairs as soon as she heard a car from the outside. I took a look at my room for the last time.

The pink walls were stilled covered with the childhood photos. My dressing table was almost empty, and as I walked towards it with my suitcase in hand, I looked at the picture on the table.

There we were; a small but happy family. My dad placing me on top of his shoulders with me beaming at the camera, my mom staring at my dad so lovingly. I had to remember him, he wasn't gone, he's still here.

I delicately put the picture in my bag. The car honked outside, making me burst out the room, after kissing almost every edge of the wall, and going downstairs.

As soon as I was downstairs, I saw Finn, my soon to be ex because we don't do long distance, staring at me blankly. He had washed out jeans and a tank top on, showing his toned skin. I almost didn't want to leave.

"Let's go, Dawn." Finn said, "Say your goodbyes."

I looked at Mom again; dad always used to say he could never tell the difference between us. Crystal blue eyes, brown hair and small lips; my mother and I will always be indistinguishable. Maybe it's because she was only in her early 40's, or maybe the universe didn't want us to be twins, so they just slapped a label called "mother and daughter."

I stared at her and then took off the beanie that was on my head, placing it on hers. I don't care how scruffy my hair looked because of that removal, I wanted my mom to have something of mine.

"Here you go, mom." I softly said, "Whenever you miss me, just put this beanie on. It will remind you of me."

She pulled me into another hug, "Dawn, I love you so much. Please visit me."

"I promise." And that's something I'll always keep, "I mean, I'll be coming over in the summer."

"Still." Mom was always stubborn, "Aunt Mary is so stingy with you it's annoying."

"She won't be able to handle me for a full year." I joked, hoping it would cheer  her up a little bit.

It did. She chuckled and placed a soft kiss on my head, "Love you pumpkin."

It was sad to leave her here like this. But after my dad's death, I realized we both needed to cope, and in order for her to do that, I knew I had to leave for a bit. She didn't have to say anything; I was the one who suggested it.

We all have different coping methods, and for us to heal, I knew we needed to do it separately. It was the hardest thing to do, but the hard things always have the best outcomes, right?

Finn tapped his foot impatiently and I knew it was time to let go. For some odd reason, Mom had decided to release me. She was supposed to accompany me to the airport, but because of her job as a businesswoman, I knew she couldn't afford to lose her job.

"I'll call you when I land in Washington, mom." I reassured her.

She ruffled my hair further, "Alright kid. Go make momma proud."