Chapter 17

Riley was gracious enough to lend me Pixie, her favorite horse, for a ride with Mark the next day.

Now this is not a date, it's just hanging out (that's what I keep telling myself).

Due to Riley's demand, Mark was forced to teach me how to ride a horse while she and her Dad went off into the plains to have a little bonding time. So we were free till the evening.

I stared at the white horse timidly, "Mark." I began uncertainly, "I'm scared."

Mark, who was wearing some washed out jeans and a tank top, walked over and massaged my shoulders slightly, "Are you relaxed now?"

I shook my head and turned around to where he was, looking into his grey eyes, "Not helping."

He let go and ran a hand through his brown hair, "Look, I'll help you get on the saddle, you just sit tight and I'll hold onto you, okay?"

He acted as if he was talking to a kid, but I rode with it anyway, "Yes sir."

His grey eyes went a shade darker, "Don't call me Sir, call me daddy."

I blushed and tried to hide it away into my arm, but he moved my arm away, "Don't. I like it when you're embarrassed."

And here we go with Mark and Dawn acting lovey dovey.

"So, you're helping me up or..?" I held my hands out, and he chuckled before picking me up, stepping on a crate, and placing me on Pixie.

But I didn't let go of him, I still held onto him as both of my legs were on Pixie's side, "Dawn, you have to let me go so I can get on my horse."

I clung tighter, "I'm scared."

"Don't be." He cooed, "I got you."

I slowly released him and wrapped my arms around Pixie's neck (sorry Pixie) and waited impatiently for him to get onto his horse, "Hurry!"

He chuckled and got onto the horse with ease, "Calm down, cow girl." As he touched the reins, "Now, do what I do."

I shook my head, "I'm not letting go of his neck."

"You'll scare Pixie, Dawn." He said, stroking his horse's mane, "She's sensitive."

No shit bitch. I'm sensitive too.

"But, you're not the one who could fall at any given time!" I whined, still holding onto the horse tightly.

"Dawn, if you trust me, you'll let go." He smiled as I slowly removed my hands from Pixie's neck, and grabbed the reins, "Just follow my lead."

I grabbed the reins and as he slightly hit them, I did the same. The horses began to move, and I almost screamed, until Mark gave me an encouraging look. I smiled and we began to go down the road slightly slow.

************

When we finally put the horses back into their stables and had a mid afternoon snack with the rest, we began to laugh walking back to the fields and Mark squeezed my hand.

He had a picnic basket with him and I assumed he wanted to have a picnic with me outside, because his sister or father didn't even ask any questions when we left.

"Hey," he looked into the sunset, "Do you have warm clothes on right now?"

I nodded, I always have warm clothes. I mean, the school semester of August is coming to an end and winter is almost here, so why the hell shouldn't I prepare?

He smiled, "I wanna show you something."

He held my hand tightly and we walked across the field as the sun began to set.