Chapter 6

Growing up, I've always been a girl that made sure to stand out.

I had confidence oozing out of me ever since I came out of my Mom. I made sure to keep my head high everywhere I go, leave a mark, and leave people making sure they never forgot Dawn Hastings. It's just me.

Now I'm really regretting my decision.

Mark stood so close to me I could realize it was real. I wasn't dreaming.

And I need someone to save me right now.

"Dawn?" Riley said, "You okay?"

Before I could respond, Mark decided to speak, "Yeah Dawn, you okay?" He mocked me.

Desmond, where the hell are you when I need you?

I put a fake smile, "I'm fine. Just a little tipsy."

Mark held out his hand, "That's fine. Come with me and I'll help you sober up."

I turned to Tyler and he shrugged, "Mark is a good guy, Dawn. You can go with him, he'll help you."

I gaped at him. What type of image did Mark place of himself in DC?

Mark smirked and grabbed my arm roughly, taking me inside the house. I kept silent and searched for Desmond through a crowd of people.

Mark led me to a couch and we sat down, facing each other.

"Why the hell are you here?" I asked him, a scowl on my face.

"Actually, why the hell are you here?" He shot back, making me shudder.

His voice still bore so much emotion. The emotion I had about 3 years ago. It's a surprise I could actually still hear it.

But I don't want to hear it anymore. He left and buried a past in Aussie, burying me with him. And now here I am, digging it up.

"You know why I had to leave." I snapped, I didn't want to, but I had to.

"Dawn, I don't get why you're trying to hate me." He rubbed his eyes a bit, leaning back, "I did nothing to you."

"Actually, Mark you did do something to me." And that's when I saw red, and stood up from the seat, glaring down at him, "You took a piece of me when you left. And now what did you come here to do? Rub it in my face?"

He frowned, "Dawn, I-"

"You what? What do you have to say, Mark?" He remained silent, "That's what I thought."

Walking away from him, I immediately walked to the door and exited.

I wrapped arms around myself because of the immense cold it was. I searched for Desmond's car. I was slightly tipsy, but I guess I will be fine.

"Dawn!"

I turned around to see Desmond running after me. He stopped and looked at me.

"What happened? Why are you crying?" I didn't even realize I was crying, "Come on, let's get into the car, okay?"

I nodded and he gave me his leather jacket, which I put on top of my furry one quickly. We walked to the car and he opened the door for me.

As we both entered, he switched on the light above and stared at me, "Dawn, I saw you leave. What happened?"

I remained silent and cursed myself for letting him see my tears. My makeup is probably a mess right now.

"Well, Mark-"

"Did Mark do this?" He sounded angry, "I'll go deal with him. That bas-"

"No! Desmond." I whispered, "Mark and I have some, uh, history."

"What history?" He gave me a confused look, and when he saw the look on my face, realization washed upon him like a river, "You guys dated, didn't you?"

"It wasn't exactly dating, per say, just," I thought for a bit, "We just understood each other. And when he left, he left with a piece of me."

This was the first time I was telling someone about me and Mark's history, but I didn't care. Desmond deserved to know.

"Mark and I both had problems in the past." I continued, "I wasn't the popular girl I am now. I was shy, introverted, a bit depressed. I built up a wall and let no one enter it at all, not even Finn, my ex boyfriend, broke it down. He only scratched it. And Mark." I paused, acknowledging his silence, "He came into my life. He broke those walls down and I was vulnerable."

"I loved him. And when I realized it, it was already too late. Mark had left the second a new school year began, leaving me to fend for myself." I looked down, "Mark was my, let's just say first love. And I don't think I'll ever forget or forgive him for leaving."

Then my voice became lower, and fresh tears began to threaten to fall, "It was a softening blow to the one I felt, because my dad passed away as I tried to heal myself."

I began to cry. It wasn't like me to feel so...weak. I felt so weak and conflicted, I couldn't hold it in.

Desmond reached over his seat and pulled me into a hug, "Dawn, I didn't know. I'm so sorry."

His soft voice only made me cry harder. I continued to cry, not caring about staining his shirt or even ruining my makeup. All I needed was someone to comfort me, and here he was, playing the comforter.

He pulled away and stared into my eyes deeply, "Dawn, you're a really strong girl, I know it. You can't let this bring you down."

"Des, he's here and now I have to see his face each and every day-"

"Don't let a stupid boy bring you down." He firmly told me, "He's not worth your tears."

"Then who is?" I asked him.

"No boy is worth your tears. Not even me." He smiled a little and touched my cheek, "Chin up princess, it's going to be a hell of a year, and you're going to need a little boost."

I smiled at him and we just stayed like that in silence. His eyes dropped to my lips, and I felt my breathing stop. His lips were on mine in a millisecond.

I don't know who leaned in, and I don't think I really cared. Desmond was the only person I cared for in the instant. Because when we kissed, it felt right. But it was also wrong in so many ways. His dad is about to marry my Aunt, and imagine them hearing about this.

We pulled away and just looked at each other.

I could see the realization flash on his face, "F*ck."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-" I truly didn't mean to. It was a mistake, but Lord Jesus, this is by far my favorite mistake.

"No, Dawn." He muttered, turning away and facing the wheel, switching on the ignition, "I'm saying f*ck because I liked it."

And that's how Dawn and Desmond decide to fall in love.

Neat.