The Shadow

I'm trying to keep the world as close to Middle-earth lore (books and movies) as possible, but this story needs to take a definite turn into an uncharted territory. If you are attached to the events portrayed in Hobbit, I'm really sorry to disappoint you, but I've decided to delve into an alternate universe and write about the events that aren't mentioned in the book (sorry, Professor Tolkien!). And if you are here to see what happens to Thorin, Ása and the whole of Erebor, I hope you'll enjoy the adventure! :)

Please let me know what you think about this chapter.

--------------------------------

Ása was drowning. An endless, freezing sea of darkness surrounded her. Its waves, thick and sticky as molasses, immobilized her completely. A dark, ominous shadow crossed the grey sky above her. She shivered, feeling a powerful undercurrent pulling her under the waves. What was happening to her? A pair of hands brutally grabbed her arms.

"What's the matter, luv?" she recognized that slurring male voice at once, suddenly feeling his foul breath on her face again. "Give us a kiss!" the repugnant dwarf demanded, shaking her body forcefully, bruising her in the process. She was back in that dark corner of a forgotten corridor in Erebor again. Zohur's lips were getting closer to hers. She shivered in terror. She tried to turn her head away, but he grasped her chin forcefully and turned it back towards his face, causing even more pain.

"I heard you local wenches like it a bit rough!" he laughed, showing a few of his golden teeth and grabbed her by the throat.

She was terrified, being barely able to draw shallow breaths. She wanted to shout at him, to spit into his face, to break away, kick the attacker and run, but she was unable to do anything besides fighting for each breath.
"No!" she tried to scream. "No! No! Leave me alone!"

A hand touched her shoulder.

"Ása, wake up! It's only a bad dream!"

Jutta's voice.

The sea of darkness retreated, leaving her mind empty, like a forgotten beach during low tide. She could breathe again.

"Jutta...?"

"Yes, it's me. I heard you screaming. Was that the nightmare again?" her companion asked her worriedly, squeezing her hand.

"I'm afraid so," Ása nodded, embarrassed. "I'm sorry if I woke you up."

"You shouldn't be. I've been already awake. I had some things to do," Jutta responded hastily. Ása could have sworn that she noticed a hint of blush on her companion's face. "I was already out today, the weather is lovely. You have to go out and see for yourself! But first, what would you say about some breakfast?"

Ása still tried to shake off the uneasiness that the nightmare left behind when her stomach growled.

"My stomach seems to be interested." It didn't surprise her. Yesterday, she spent the whole day wandering with Thorin through the woods. Well, not only wandering, she smiled to herself. The point was, they didn't have food on their minds. That wicked dwarf prince and his wishes! She still kept dying of curiosity thinking about the third wish that waited for her, but he was very secretive.

"Perfect! A proper breakfast it is! No, don't get up, I will bring a tray to you," Jutta decided and rushed to the door.

"Thank you, Jutta, you are wonderful!"
"And don't you forget it!" her confidante giggled and disappeared behind the wooden door.

Soon, Ása was happily devouring her breakfast, the last memories of the night terror slowly fading. It simply couldn't stand a chance against fluffy scrambled eggs and crunchy bacon, freshly baked golden oat buns, spring carrots glazed with honey and creamy milk tea.