prologue

It was the winter formal when everything changed. The slow song could still be heard from the parking lot where Carrie had wandered out to. She had been complaining that it was too hot in that stuffy gym. Her glasses kept fogging up and sweat had already rolled down the back of her neck. She couldn't believe that Lydia had forced her to go to this thing. The boy who had begged her to take him in her car was nowhere to be found, that was Scott McCall for you. And to top it off she couldn't find her phone to text Toni about the tragedy that was the dance. Her red dress was too tight and bright for her liking. It was also getting dirty every second she sat on the ground.

Carrie could remember hearing a scream so loud she thought her eardrums were going to burst. And the yell of the boy who loved his bloody date. There was a man beside him. She remembered running to her brother who was covered in the sticky red substance of his ex-girlfriend, eyes pleading for help as his mouth was stammering. He couldn't believe it. She remembers crying, falling to her knees as the girl who she had called a friend, and sister, for years looked more dead than anything else. 

The grass was covered in dew and mud caked on the heels the strawberry blonde insisted Carrie buy. She ran and her lungs burned, glasses falling to the ground and everything was blurry. All she could see was the red streaming from Lydia. She was panting by the time Jackson had reached her with the girl in his arms. Carrie hadn't realized that he too was screaming for help. She hadn't noticed when she had started, her eyes were bleary with unshed tears. 

She distinctly remembered the smell of the hospital. Sterile. Nothing but chemicals wafted into her nose that soon became scrunched in distaste. Her friend, Toni, sat beside her. Carrie's hand gripped the other girl's so hard she thought her circulation might be cut off. She remembers her eyes drifting around the waiting room seeing Lydia's mother and several officers. Her dad had entered in a rush minutes later.

Stilisnki, Lydia's date strutted in and was held back by his father. Her hands gripped at the seat as she shed tears at the sight of the girl. She had been trying to avoid looking through the window. The girl stood from her spot and moved next to her adoptive brother, Jackson, to hear whatever the sheriff was saying. 

"It's like she's having an allergic reaction..." her mind had picked up in between watching Lydia, "her body's going in and out of shock." 

Soon enough Lydia stabilized. It had taken days, but it still happened. Carrie had come to visit Lydia every day since then. Lydia had long since awoken from her shock-induced coma and was waiting patiently for her friend. Hours before Lydia's breakout from the hospital, Carrie was stopped by a tall, dark, and handsome stranger with a twisted smile marring his face.

"Hello Carrie," he drawled out from his spot down the hallway from Lydia's door. Her hand had just reached out to the doorknob when he called her. The girl had swiftly turned to him and fixed her glasses as her eyebrows raised to her hairline. She pointed to herself and her mouth had gone a bit slack. The man nodded and let out the tiniest laugh.

It didn't take a genius to detect that it was fake.

"How do you- you know what nevermind." Her hand had retracted from the doorknob and she made her way to him. "Can I help you with something?" Carrie asked looking at him warily. He nodded and the same fake smile lit up his features. He nodded and uncrossed his arms.

"It's actually more what I can do for you." At her quirked eyebrow, he continued. "You want answers, power, to be the best and not just second..." Derek paused as he felt Carrie's heartbeat raise and her confusion just grew.

"What do you mean?" She spat out at him lightly. Derek gave a dark laugh and shook his head.

"I know how everyone sees you, Carrie, and I also know how you want to be seen." Carrie's features softened slightly and she looked up at him challengingly.

"Is that so?" He nodded slowly. 

"I can make you stronger, faster, better... better than Jackson ever was." It was Carrie's turn to let out a dark laugh. She just shook her head and wiped away an imaginary tear.

"Tell me, stranger-"

"It's Derek." He corrected Carrie, that same fake smile coming over his face. Carrie quirked her head to the side but nodded nonetheless.

"Okay, Derek, how are you going to fulfill this promise?" Derek looked up at her like he knew whatever the answer was she would say yes. He could feel the raw ambition coming off of the young girl in waves. She wanted it, she wanted to be better. Better than her brother, better than her friends, better than the other girls and boys in the class. She wanted to be number one. 

Derek smirked, "Tell me, Carrie, do you believe in werewolves?"

Hook. Line. Sinker. 

Paris Berelc as Carrie Whittemore

Ariela Barer as Toni Valdez

ftMadchen Amick

ft
Madchen Amick.Abigail Whittemore
Matt leBlanc..........David Whittemore