XII

HEREDITARY

Growing up Carrie never believed in the supernatural

Growing up Carrie never believed in the supernatural. Not in the riveting myths of fairies nor mermaids. Not in the bloodcurdling tales of horrific vampires or werewolves. Never in a million years could she picture any scenario involving her younger alpha male of an adoptive brother being a lizard person (although it did make tremendous sense given his... issues for lack of a better term), or a kanima as they had called him. And she couldn't believe that she could hear thoughts or make things fly across the room with the wave of a hand. No. She didn't want to believe it. But there was something in the rush she got, something so terrifyingly powerful. She didn't want to believe it.

Suddenly the tales spun by the adults in her life came true. And each one was worse than the last. None were as upbeat as she wished, as she wanted. She never wished for that happy go lucky ending where the good guys win and the bad guys lose and everything is cut and dry like that, but what can she say? She was too busy growing up to bother with Fairy Tales. In all honesty, the last thing she wanted while going through high school was to deal with whatever paranormal nonsense was going on Beacon Hills. 

But we don't get what we want. 

For instance, Carrie would've rather not have passed out in the destroyed library leaving Scott, Allison, and Stiles to deal with her. But things certainly played out that way. She was sure that when Harris came back they would all be expelled from high school but given the chaos of this term Carrie was sure it would be worth it. At least she wouldn't have to deal with Chemistry when she got expelled.

The girl woke up screaming, covered in a thin layer of sand as if someone half-assed burying her. The sun was blearing down against her as she shot up like a bullet. Her eyes shakily opened before she raised a darkened hand against the sky so she could see without the harsh glare the sun rays offered. It didn't seem to work and everything was coated in a sheer haze. Her mouth was so dry and her lips were cracking, the only liquid in a mile was the little bit of blood that came from when her lip split as she opened her mouth ever so slightly. She was sure that she would have burns traveling up any length of skin that was exposed to the harsh sun. Great.

Carrie shakily rose from the sand to look around. The young girl cursed herself for a second as she stumbled, her motions reminding herself of Bambi. She looked around like an idiot too, but the only thing she saw for miles and miles was the same cursed sand she had been laying on. Maybe she was in the desert. Maybe this was hell. Maybe she was dead. Honestly, she didn't care. For some reason she didn't feel confused, she felt like she belonged. As if one day she would return and everything would be set right in the world. One day she would come back and everything would make sense.

At least, that's what the voice in her head said.

And then, the most peculiar thing happened. The sky darkened, clouds moving in as if it had taken them hours instead of seconds. Darkening and growing and moving like a living creature and not just water molecules high up in the atmosphere. Thunder rumbled and groaned before lightning struck the ground crackling. It sounded like a voice. Carrie could feel its energy, the power it held.