CHAPTER 12: SOME "ALONE" TIME II

"The Chaos gene?"Mac's smile wavered, "What's that?"

"I'm a daughter of Isis, goddess of Fate," Natalia told Mac, "Fate is born of two phenomenons: Order and Chaos. Good and Evil. Creation and Destruction."

"That's six, "Mac stated, and Natalia shot him a dirty look before she continued.

"These phenomenons are manifested in her genes, which are passed onto her children," she explained, "However, her children can only manifest one gene, depending on their mortal parent. Those with the power of Order can create, heal, restore, I heard some can even see into the future. Those with the power of Chaos can only cause destruction and control the debris. Sometimes we can only see bad omens. My Dad was a general who had served in the army and got a bunch of awards for protecting the country and stuff, so when I was born, he thought I'd be a blessing; a child of Order. He treated me so kindly during those first few years, even when he got another kid. However, one day I hurt my toe in the kitchen, and I...."

She shook her head as she said, "I unleashed my powers. I somehow destroyed its walls, and in trying to rescue me, he hurt his leg pretty badly. After that, bad things started happening around me...so, he told my mum about it...and she told him about the chaos gene. It was then he realized, then he understood...that I was...different."

"Since then," she continued, "He'd treat me differently, like I was some plague. He loved my sister way more than me, and he treated me like... I was a curse or something. So many times he'd shout at me and treat me with contempt,but...this one time, he prayed to my mother to take me back. He said that he couldn't live with a curse, but my mother never replied. From then on, he...he tried to get rid of me...."

Tears flowed down her cheeks, but she went on, "One day, he... he tried to kill me... He came into my room, and he...he got a gun...he tried...to kill me..." she started sobbing quietly, "Anyway...he couldn't bring himself to do it... He told me to get out...to leave his life forever...to run away. I did, and...for nearly a year, I had no home... I met monsters in the streets...they all tried to kill me, but...I fought them off. Demons, too. They kept telling me I was too powerful...that I was never supposed to be born.

" I...I tried to kill myself, but my mum stopped me. She took care of me for a couple of days...encouraged me to keep fighting, promising that help would come soon. For some time, it looked like help would never come. Monsters and Demons kept attacking me, and I could barely defend myself. But then," she looked in the direction Hannah and I were, "Jones' dad saved me. He and...well, someone else. They took me in. They understood me. They...they loved me."

"Well, later on, my mother told me that they weren't to be trusted. That if I loved them, I should leave them. But...I couldn't. Later on,I paid the price...To save me, his dad sacrificed himself. If I...if I'd listened, he'd still be alive. He'd still be here," she looked at Mac, "So, tell me, why smile when your life is ruled by chaos? What's the point of being happy when you're doomed to be burdened with destruction for the rest of your life? I've hurt everyone I love, Mac...myself, my dad, and...I cost Jones' father his life. So why should I be happy when I'm a pain to everyone around me?"

Mac didn't answer. He just kept staring at the fire.

In tears, Natalia turned to the fire, too.

"I'm an orphan."

Natalia turned to Mac, who was still staring at the fire. "My parents were killed right in front of me," he said, "No one knows this, except Jones, of course."

He turned to her, "The day they were killed, their murderer burnt down my house in a bid to kill me, too. I was rescued, but I never did recover. I had no family, no home, nothing. I got into an orphanage and lived there, hopeless. I mean, there was no point in living anymore, right? When you've lost everything, life is a pain in the ass."