Chapter 8

Scarlet stood at the railing at the helm, hand on her hat as the raging winds pushed their ship onwards. They were nearing the Forbidden Lands Reverse current. However, Marines were in their way. "We're gonna die," Lance declared as he hugged the mast for dear life. "Think positive Lance," Lux said with a laugh as he swung on a rope from the mast to the upper deck. "I'm positive we're going to die," Lance cried. "They have a fleet of fifteen, and we just have us." Lux smirked, "I really like those odds." "The ship at the front has Vice Admiral Gastrine," Pince said where he was in the crows nest with the spy glass to his eye. "I thought he was supposed to be in the East," Dio said as he grabbed his binoculars. 

The Vice Admiral stood at the helm of his ship, hand on the hilt of his sword. His purple hair was pulled back, the chiseled features of his face and large body, made him appear very intimidating. "The Vice Admiral is mine," Lux declared as their ship sailed closer. "Go for it Captain," Pince said as he readied his rifle. "I got your back." "I'll take the ships on the right," Scarlet said as she readied her wings. Muris cracked his knuckles, "I guess Dio and I will tag team the left." Brian was at wheel, "And I'll make sure we don't sail directly into them." "What are you going to do doc," Lux asked him. "Write my will," Lance said with a cowardly whimper. "Good. Make sure to include I get whatever treasure you have," Lux said before having Scarlet fly him to the Vice Admiral's ship. Dio created a bridge of ice for him and Muris to the ships on the left. Scarlet dropped off Lux and went off to face the other ships. She shifted her wings to those of steel blades and sent the blade feathers flying into many Marines. 

Muris and Dio quickly began to make a mess of the other ships as well while Lux was in an intense one on one battle with the Vice Admiral. Any time Lance was able to see one of them, he noticed they were smiling. Shadow Pirates, one of the most insane crews in the world. 

"Come now Vice Admiral, is that all you got," Lux taunted. "Lux DeFlore," The Vice Admiral said. "If you tell us where I can find your father, I'll let you and your crew go." Lux laughed, "That's the funniest joke I have ever heard. Tell me, have you ever heard of a pirate crew staying in one place for long? I know I haven't." Lux dodged an attack from his sword. "He is always moving, so I don't know where he is. I've kind of been preoccupied with my own adventure." Lux landed a double heel kick into the center of his chest, then landed, to do a sweep kick to knock the Vice Admiral's legs out from beneath him. The Vice Admiral was quick to get back up and deliver his own impressive blows that had Lux stumble for a second. Lance watched, his knees knocking together out of fear, as he watched their intense battle. His eyes went to Scarlet's grouping of ship and saw her standing on the helm of one of the ships, wings out as she watched, while shoving what looked like chips, into her mouth.  The marines were all unconscious on the ground around her. 

He looked over to the left side and saw that Dio and Muris were goofing off on the ice bridge. "What are they doing," Lance asked Brian. "Waiting in case Lux needs help with the Vice Admiral," He replied easily. "Why did you guys let Scarlet go off by herself," he asked next. "The blades on her wings can take out way more opponents than we can if we were to assist her. Plus we don't want to get caught in the cross fire," Pince replied from above. That would be a real problem, Lance thought. 

The Vice Admiral looked at his ships, seeing them taken down. He eyed the winged woman then looked at the two men covered in ice and armor. He then looked at the ship, the sniper in the nest, the man at the wheel, waiting patiently, and the man hiding his fear by looking the Vice Admiral in the eye. He then looked back at Lux, "Your crew is small, but clearly a worthy opponent." "Why thank you," Lux said with a bow. "Now either let us through, or I'm throwing your ass overboard, and going through your ships." "A real Marine never surrenders to a pirate," he spat before charging at Lux. 

Lux met him blow for blow until he decided to breathe a fiery breath that caught the Vice Admiral off guard and he fell over the railing, straight into the ocean. Lux smoothly lifted his hand and Scarlet flew past, grabbing it. They went back to their ship where Dio and Muris were waiting. "If you'd be so kind to clear a path for us Dio," Lux said with a smirk. Dio had two ice walls appear between the Vice Admiral's ship and another ship, then made them move in opposite directions of each other, clearing the path. Dio took over the wheel, "Now everyone, hang on to your asses." They caught a strong wind to the reverse current. Once in the current, the ship shot upwards, and everyone had to hang on to something. Except Lux. He stood at the helm, arms wide as he laughed in pure joy. They shot out of the current, launching right into the air. "Brian!" Dio called out. Brian sucked in air through his gills and shot the blast of air at the sails. They landed hard in the water, but not a single ounce of damage was done to the ship. "We're alive," Lance cried out in joy as Muris put him and Scarlet down. The two light weights nearly flew off when they took off. Scarlet looked up and noticed Pince's foot stuck up from the crows nest. He righted himself and climbed to his feet looking like he might be sick, "Let's do that never again." 

"I agree one hundred percent," Lance said with a nod. "Look alive guys," Dio told them. "We've entered the Forbidden Lands, who knows which predator will take a shot at us next." "As long as they're not taking shots at my baby, I'll be good," Brian said as he ran a loving hand over the ship's railing. "Let's set sail for the nearest island," Lux declared. "The closest island is filled with monsters and wack ass weather changes," Dio told him. "One minute it could be scorching hot, and the next it will be snowing." "I think finding an island that won't kill us at first sight is the best one to go to," Lance said, but his statement fell on deaf ears. "Set our course for that island Dio," Lux declared. "Aye Captain," Dio said. Lance pouted pitifully. Muris ruffled his hair, "Cheer up buddy. If we get the more dangerous islands out of the way, then the only ones to go to after that are the peaceful ones." "That could take us years," Lance told him. Muris chuckled as he shrugged before going below deck to see how big the mess was. Lance sighed as he went to the doctor's office to go grab his kit so he could patch up his Captain. 

Dio looked over the star charts as they sailed. It was him and Lux taking the night shift. "Ever thought we'd make it this far," Dio asked him. Lux chuckled as he shook his head, "Never. I thought we were going to meet our end when we first started." It was just the two of them, trying to navigate a large ship. Getting to places was no problem, but fending off the enemy was another story. They had more than one close call back in those days. 

"Would you change any of it," Dio asked him. "Maybe that night with that waitress at the tavern back at Ishford," He commented jokingly. Dio laughed, "I thought she was going to shove that whole pitcher up your ass for speaking to her so crudely." "Never will I have that much alcohol again," Lux declared. "Yeah, knowing your luck, you'll talk that way to Scarlet and we'll have to vote for a new Captain," Dio told him. Lux laughed, "I don't that one bit." Lux looked up at the stars, "This is the true start of our journey Dio." Dio nodded, "That it is."