Chapter 6

Xingchen sighed as he looked at Song Lan. "Zichen, are you sleepy?"

"Kind of. I had to do a lot of work today. The villagers are still scared- I mean. N-nothing..."

Xingchen squinted. "Why are they scared, Zichen?"

"Something weird is happening out there." Song Lan's voice echoed through Xingchen's mind.

"Something weird? What exactly happened? Tell me!" Xingchen was worried by now.

"Uh..actually, some villagers witnessed strange things happening in Yi city at night time. Some of them hear noises coming from outside. But, no one dares to come out and check..." Xingchen heard Song Lan's heavy breathing. Was everyone becoming scared because of just noises?

"Zichen...are you sure it's just for the noises? It can be a stray cat or dog." Xingchen said. He still didn't want to jump into conclusions. He has to be sane.

"That's what I thought. Within the past year, I used to night hunt almost every day here. But, I heard not a single strange noise. Although, the villagers could hear it."

Xingchen felt cold air hitting his bare neck. It sent shivers down his spine.

"Let's not talk about this now. It's getting cold. Let's sleep first. We will investigate further tomorrow." Song Lan said as he proceeded to go inside.

Xingchen just stood still. He wanted to go out and check the situation by himself. But, he knew that Song Lan wouldn't let him do that.

Suddenly he felt someone touch his arm. He dodged back tried to hit that person back.

"It's me! Zichen!"

Xingchen immediately stopped when Song Lan said those words in his mind.

"Zichen. Don't scare me like this." Xingchen huffed out as Song Lan smiled.

"Why were you standing like that here? It's night time already. We should go and sleep. We have to attend a party tomorrow, remember?"

Xingchen nodded his head as both of them went to their rooms. Song Lan actually sleeps with A-Qing in order to protect her from evil things. Xingchen actually found this really heartwarming. His best friend actually cared for A-Qing that much, although they've talked for like 1 day. He treated her like his own daughter. Xingchen couldn't be enough thankful.

Song Lan went inside and closed the door. Xingchen heard the door getting closed as he closed his door too.

'Will he become mad at me?...' Xingchen thought in his mind. He even doesn't know if Song Lan was still mad at him from before.

He still remembers that, one year ago, Zichen told him to leave him alone. He felt bad yet he left Song Lan and respected his decision.

He wished he didn't do that.

Xingchen waited for half an hour, so that Song Lan could fall asleep.

After almost 1 hour, he opened the door and went out really quietly since he didn't want to wake Song Lan up.

'Ah my sword....' Xingchen just remembered that, his sword wasn't with him. He forgot to take it from Song Lan.