Chapter 5 | yeux noirs

yeux noirs

yeux noirs

Black eyes

TODAY, I felt something. A power like none other. It scared me for a moment, but I know better to keep my guard up in such a situation. I stormed out of the tent, to find out four of my men, dead and lying on the ground. Their eyeballs were pullet out of their sockets, black blood flow out of their veins and their were fresh wounds all over their bodies.

I had never seen anything like this before. Helen reached out to me to comfort me but I didn't show any signs of weakness in front of my soldiers. I saw a note attached to their bodies and read it,

The real war has just started. There will be more. Next time it will be your bitch.

It was written with blood. I rushed back to my tent with Helen right behind me. She read the note and her eyes widened. I, for first time in my life, saw fear in her eyes.

We were in a middle of a war, and there was another one brewing in our own kingdom. Has everyone gone insane? What had we ever done with them to cause them to act in such a manner towards them?

Helen hugged me and told me to not to worry. That we will find a way out of this.

I really hope we will. I didn't want to loose her.

I was heartbroken. My mother's life was in constant danger during the war. The rebels had decided to attack the royals even though we were already at war with the Emeralds. How many lives did they wanted to claim? I used to think so highly of my kingdom. And now I doubt they deserve the sacrifices I would make for them. Was their happiness really above mine?

I continued reading, I had to know what was it all about.

Everything has gone south. The Emeralds know about the war brewing inside my kingdom and they are attacking us with more effort. The magic shield we had installed is keeping them at bay but we will run out of time soon. We have to find some way to deal with these rebels.

I haven't slept in days and so has Helen. She is constantly with our sons. She fears for their lives. I, on the other hand, can't get out of the war room. I am doing my best to keep my family and subjects safe. The food isn't scarce because we had enough reserves for war. The rebels although, have snatched many of my brave warriors of their families just for being royals and siding with me. But they stand by my side. I couldn't be prouder of them.

Theodore suggests that we shift the women and children to the safe house. I feel the same. I have asked the other Governors to do the same. More rubies have joined the forces, including women. Helen herself is training them. I see hope but it is slowly vanishing.