Chapter 9 | courir pour protéger

courir pour protéger

Run to protect

I CRAWL onto the bed and lay in fetal position. I am a loser. I don't deserve to be a ruler. How can I protect Junior when I know I couldn't protect his father, my own brother? How can I even protect myself now?

I want to go away. I don't want to live anymore. I am a waste.

I have no idea when I drift back to sleep because when I wake up there is dark outside. I get up and search for a clock but there is none there. After all, a Ruby who is century old won't need a clock, right?

I get up and head outside. My body is sore for sleeping in the same position but I ignore it. I am still dizzy but I have had enough rest. A plan needs to be set in action and we must decide what needs to be done for now. I can't wait any longer in the forest, you may never know when the hybrids attack.

I walk to the dining area to find Katrina and Zara having dinner on the table. Zara smiles when she sees me whereas Katrina doesn't even acknowledge me. She is still angry with me. She has all the right to, I don't know why Zara isn't angry with me. Can't she see what a monster I am?

Guru is in the kitchen with Junior. He serves dinner to Junior and then turns to look at me. Worry is written all over his face. I know the look on his face, but I don't want to think about it. He loves me, I know that. 

For what reason, I am not aware. I still remember our kiss and the feelings that erupted in my heart when we kissed. They were unlike anything I had felt before, and it was as if we were meant for each other. Love is a game I am, although, not willing to play anymore. I have no desire to fall in love again. It has caused me too much pain.

I settle down on the slab of the kitchen and Junior climbs beside me. I take his plate and start feeding him his dinner. He loves it when I play with food with him. A smile emerges on his face and I smile for him. He is so innocent and it pains me to think that he has to grow up faster in order to survive in this world. I will start his training as soon as he turns nine. That is when I started. But before that, I will teach him about the kingdoms. I will do all the things his father was supposed to. I can never replace Alexander but I have a duty to raise him.

Guru stands beside me with a plate in his hands and a smile on his face. I don't know what is he thinking, but his smile makes me smile even more.

"Stay away from my son or else you will kill him too." Katrina says as she snatches Junior from the counter and drags him to the dining table. 

This is it. She has crossed a boundary.

"What the hell do you mean by that?" I ask her.