21

Was it really a good idea to leave Anteiku?

Six months have passed by now, and for every single day and night, the question arose in the back of Kaneki's head without an answer to satisfy it. Was all this necessary? Why is he doing this? Would this ever be enough to silence his fear? If he found Kanou and Rize or stopped the Aogiri, would everything really go back to the way it was?

He sits still on the living room of the apartment he shares with the rest of the members of his make-shift group composed of ghouls, all of which look up to him and whatever the hell he's been doing for the past months. The moon is ever present on the horizon displayed through the open curtains of the window — Kaneki's chest tightened with a feeling he couldn't quite put a finger on.

Did he make the right decision? He doesn't really know. He just has so many things to figure out— so many secrets he has to uncover in order for him to really be at peace with who he is, who he is becoming. Do the people in Anteiku hate him for leaving? Do they think he's reckless for doing this? Are they mad he just decided to pack up and go? This has to be done either way right? He'll come back soon when he finds all the answers right?

But he knows, even just a tiny bit, that he misses the noise of a certain male.

Kaneki rarely goes outside as his white hair would certainly draw unwanted attention if he were to pretend he was just some normal citizen and not an SS rated ghoul, but he decides that today would be an exception since it was getting hard to breathe inside his living space, especially last night. A walk to clear his head has been way long overdue. So he borrows a cap from Banjou and tries his hardest to stuff all his tuft of hair inside, making sure the ones poking out wouldn't be noticeable, then excuses himself as he leaves to take a stroll.

He doesn't really know where he's supposed to be heading and why it's getting dangerously close to the 20th ward, but he lets his feet drag him along anyway.

Kaneki stops abruptly in front of a bookstore with the sign "TAKATSUKI-SEN MEET AND GREET @ 12PM" which, much to his dismay, was over five hours ago. "I missed it again." He sighs to himself, deeming that this is probably the perfect time to head back to his place.

The sun is starting to set, painting the sky with a beautiful pink hue as he reaches the overpass. Crossing it wouldn't be a huge significance if it werent for the sight of another male just arriving from the other side, hunched over like they were out of breath from running a marathon.

Kaneki doesn't know him, so he doesn't really care enough so much as to even look at the male when they approach each other on the way to opposite sides.

But just then, a firm grasp wraps itself around Kaneki's arms and he jolts back in surprise, defenses kicking in as he turns around to meet the face of his assaulter.

He didn't expect to see Hide looking back at him with the same wide-eyed expression.

Fuck, I wasn't supposed to run into him. Kaneki debates on pretending like he doesn't know who Hide is or just springing away and not looking back. None of the options seemed pleasant, but he really did not want to see anyone from home, most especially not Hide.

Both boys couldn't utter a single word yet they couldn't take their eyes off of each other's, the tension holding them in place.

Until, "Holy shit." Hide breathes, breaking the silence, "It really is you, Kaneki."

Kaneki looks away and pries his arm away from the blond's hold, "Hide, I can't talk-"