Chapter 5: Date? Night

Mort and Susie walked into the restaurant and to the receptionist. Susie had suggested to go to a different restaurant but Mort protested since it was much more expensive and he couldn't afford it. Susie said she could cover it all but Mort argued against it, so they settled on where they were now. It was super fancy and expensive, but it was enough that Mort could cover it. The two took their seats in a booth that resided in a corner of the restaurant.

Underneath Susie's windbreaker was a nice crop jacket and a beautiful skirt. Meanwhile, Mort was dressed it tattered, slightly washed, suit jacket that he had, and underneath was his work shirt. Mort was thankful that they were in the corner booth. As Mort looked at the drink menu, he could catch Susie staring at him. Mort put down the menu and stared back at Susie.

"What's your story Pollician?" Susie asked with a grin. Susie gave off a weird presence. On the outside she looked like "those" girls, the kind with dyed hair, a band hoodie, and spent most of their time quoting popular shows. However, on the inside she seemed different, like you could go to her and joke about a murder fantasy without feeling creepy. Mort was just angry he hadn't realized this sooner.

"Where to begin? I... I lost my girlfriend a few years ago, maybe shorter. Ever since then here I am, a wreck," Mort spoke, reminding himself of his previous loss. As Mort thought, a waiter came over and took their drink orders. Mort spoke but his mind wasn't there, he was busy thinking.

He knew how this scenario was about to play out. Mort hated the sympathy card, it annoyed him beyond imagination. He'd give someone his sob story and then they'd say something like "aww that's so sad" or "I'm sorry you had to go through that" but he knew they didn't really care, it was just a default saying. However, what really made him tick was that he knew they felt sorry for him, he knew they thought he was weaker than them and he hated it. He had already spent most of his life with people underestimating him, and he for sure as hell wasn't going to let it continue. After taking Susie's drink order the waiter left and Mort made eye contact with the table, only seeing Susie in his peripheral.

"I understand that," Susie said quietly from across the table. Mort looked up at her to see Susie looking at him, with sympathetic eyes and a reassuring slight smile. "My parents passed away when I was ten. After that I was forced to live with my grandma Kelly who had a very strict rule set at her house, and let's just say I wasn't good at following them." Susie leaned in closer and her smile grew wider. She rolled up her shirt sleeve and Mort was wide eyed by what he saw. A branding, along with many other lacerations imbedded into her skin. "I didn't let that hag stop me, and look at me now. I'm my own person, and nobody will stop me from being myself."

Once Susie finished speaking, the waiter came back over and gave the two their drinks. Mort picked up his water and took a long sip while making wide eye contact with the table. "Damn" Mort said, swallowing his drink "That's fucked up but, I'm also weirdly proud of you." Mort smiled at Susie who smiled and nodded back.

"Remember Mort, people assume that because we've lost or have been hurt means we're weak. But we're not, we take our problems and we use it as goddamn energy." Susie said and Mort was star eyed. He felt like he was watching an empowering speech, although to him and Susie it was.

"Now" Susie said as she looked at Mort dead in the eyes "What the hell are we having for dinner?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Susie and Mort walked up to the ladder's front doorstep. The night was fun, the two shared jokes and stories about their lives, some sad and some positive. Mort was so excited to have finally met someone he could relate to, he was so full of adrenaline he felt like running a marathon.

Now the two stood on the doorstep looking at each other. Susie smile at Mort who gave a nervous awkward smile back. "I had a great night tonight." He said.

Susie nodded "Me too." The duo stood on the doorsteps looking at each other, Mort could see in Susie's eyes she wanted to kiss.

Mort turned his head away before she could do anything. He rubbed the back of his neck as he looked at the ground. "I'll see you tomorrow." He said happily even though he just curved her. She seemed to understand.

"Oh, right," She looked saddened for a second before swapping her expression to a grin "Well see you tomorrow." Susie then turned and walked away back to her car and drove off. Mort waited on his doorstep a few more seconds before actually entering inside his house. Mort stripped out of his clothes and laid down for bed with a grin on his face. That the first time in awhile he slept perfectly, no melatonin needed.