Chapter 1: The Incident

A ringing headache and a stirring stomach are what Mort Pollician woke up to. He rubbed his head and looked around, he was in his office at the news studio he worked at. He had fallen asleep at his desk and now he was awake and miserable. He stood up from his desk and decided to head to the lobby to grab a cup of coffee and hopefully retreat before someone tried to talk to him.

The lobby was a big room and was where most people spent their time, even while working. The lobby was also connected to the entrance of the building with the only thing between the two rooms being a set of double doors. Now Mort was standing over the coffee table pouring a cup of warm joe when a coworker of his, Susie, came up beside him.

"Hey Mort, how's your work coming along?" Susie asked with a cheerful tone. She played with her long blue hair and fixed her black glasses that made her green eyes look small.

Mort looked down tiredly at his coffee and gave a monotone response "It's fine, just finishing writing some articles on some missing people cases and then sending them up to the news room to publish." He poured the brown substance into his small cup and went to add some sugar into it.

Susie gave a chuckle "Oh sounds fun, well I just wanted to check in on you." Susie said brightly with a bit of sarcasm, to which Mort responded with a grunt.

Mort had just had his coffee made and poured when the front entrance doors busted open causing Mort to spill the coffee. Mort turned around to see the causation of his spillage and was shocked when he turned to see a man covered in red stains and mud.

Mort took a few steps back in shock as the man slowly stumbled around with a frightful look. Mort looked around to see the feared expressions of his fellow coworkers, Susie herself was shaking in place. He walked over to her and stood in front of her, as protection, in case the man attempted anything. However the man just looked around frantically until he finally began speaking. "John, w-where's John!" The man shouted out to everyone.
Mort recognized the name as his boss, John Marksen. The man looked down at the dark dried red stains on his hands "I...I had to do it, I had no choice." The man said quietly, almost a whisper "Where is John!" The man screamed loud enough for Susie to grab onto Mort in fear.

The man began walking closer to the crowd of people but before he could do anything Tim and Zach, the studio's security guards, ran in and tackled him to the ground. While security restrained him the man kept speaking loudly "The hospital, the truth lies in the hospital, where is John?" And that was the last of it as after that security carried the man back to the entrance room.

After the doors closed and the man was officially gone, Mort's boss John came out of nowhere to address the crowd. "Everyone, everyone! Please calm down, I understand this was a shocking situation but I will make sure it is addressed. I advise everyone to get back to work but I completely understand if you wanted to head home, and you are completely free to." And with that John walked through the double doors to the entrance of the building.

Mort stood still for a few seconds until he felt a squeeze in his hand and looked to see Susie holding it, he hadn't even noticed. Mort instinctively pulled his hand away quickly and when Susie gave him a confused look, he just turned and walked away.