Chapter 15: No Escapes

Mort was curled up in the fetal position. He was alone and it was quiet. He had tears in his eyes and his breathing was shaky. He closed his eyes and wished he would wake up but he knew he wasn't asleep. Every time he tried to man up and be brave he immediately thought about dying and he was terrified all over again. But finally after a few minutes he was able to sit up and calm his breathing.

"Alright, if I'm getting out of here I need to get looking," Mort said as he sat against the cold wall. He reached over and grabbed his equipment bag and opened it to look inside. He had a flashlight, his camera, and a walkie talkie. Mort tucked the flashlight into his pocket along with the radio. The flashlight would be to bright and give away his position to the people and he had no use for the walkie talkie unless he wanted to possibly give away his friend's position. His only choice for light was his camera and luckily it came with built in night vision. Mort stood up, his legs shaking badly, and looked around the room he was in.

There was a chair in the middle with wires hooked up from it to a machine with levers and knobs. On the side was a lighting bolt symbol, so Mort decided it was probably best to not touch it at all. Mort then walked over to the door of the room and headed out into the hallway.

It was now that Mort was thankful for the night vision as he almost forgot how pitch black dark the hallways were. He brought up his camera and was able to see farther ahead, it wasn't that far but at least good enough to see anything three steps in front of him. Mort began walking in the opposite direction of the way he had came. While he walked, Mort peeked into the rooms along the way, hoping to find an exit or a window he could climb out of. However he never did, instead he found rooms with metal heavy doors and single beds. Mort felt like it was hopeless, and began instead thinking about his friends. He hoped they were alright. He hoped they would be okay and fine, no thanks to him. He kicked himself as he thought of everything he did wrong to them: Fighting with Kevin, abandoning them, bringing them here! He felt awful and if they did escape this he hoped they would forgive him, though he could understand if they didn't.

Finally after walking for some time, Mort spotted moonlight up ahead leaking from a room. Mort felt his heart skip a beat and he began running down the hall with his shoes slapping against the tile floor of the hallway. Once Mort arrived in the room he immediately ran over to the window, and was instantly horrified to find bars on the other side of the glass. Mort banged his head on the glass in defeat, but he knew he couldn't stop. He looked out the window and up above at the white moon. Shining down directly on his face, he felt like it was mocking him. Mort stood up and looked at the window one last time, he felt it was weird that a hospital would have bars on the windows but he just shrugged it off and exited the room.