Chapter 14: The Exit

The three peaked up from behind their cover as they watched a slim person stalk around the lobby. The lighting in the room was dim however, allowed the group to get a good look at the person. They were a skinny person dressed in a white uniform and wearing an oxygen mask. They lumbered around like they were searching, and it didn't take a genius to know what they were searching for.

The three men slumped down, their eyes wide with fear and they could hear each other's heart beats. Tony looked towards his friends "What do we do?" Tony asked in a very very quiet whisper.

What could they do? Run back the way they came? Yeah, good idea. Any other direction would just lead to them being immediately spotted. That's when it dawned on Mort the one way out, the one thing they could do. It was stupid, probably the dumbest plan since Hitler invaded Russia, but it was all they had. Mort turned to his friends with a much more feared expression than them multiplied.

"Lets run straight for the exit, just run and don't stop." Mort said with a calm quiet voice. His two friends looked at him like he had lost his mind, and maybe he had but to him it was the only choice they had.

"If we're quick enough we can make it to the doors, and then jump into the car and never look back." Mort said letting determination take over his voice instead of fear.

Kevin and Tony looked at each other and thought about it really hard. Ultimately the two agreed with Mort's plan and nodded their heads, signaling they were onboard. Mort got up on his knees and peaked to watch the man, waiting for him to turn his back to them. After a few seconds he did and that was when the group took their opportunity and got up to run.

The three ran, the adrenaline being an unseeing hand as it guided them to the heavy door that was the barrier between them and freedom. Finally Kevin arrived at the doors first and he gave it a hard tug, but it didn't open. He tried again and again, even trying to push on it but nothing happened. Now they were spotted by the skinny man and he was quickly making his way towards them.

Tony turned and ran the way they came, even running down the same long corridor. Now it was just Kevin and Mort and the man was still making his way towards them. Mort ran to the left and began running but turned to see Kevin fear stricken and just standing there. Mort was worried about Kevin, but he was worried for his own life as well so he just turned and kept running. He ran up the lobby stairs to the second floor and just kept running before ducking into a room.