Chapter five: The beginning of a journey

Beatrice spent the days crying and worrying. Not much had changed from her original life, to be honest. She cooked her own dinner, using the food from every fridge in the neighbourhood. She didn't want to think about what would happen when the food would eventually run out. Right now she didn't know what to do. Would she be stuck in this place forever?

After two weeks of living like this, Beatrice finally stopped crying. She had to do something. She couldn't keep this up forever. She had to find her way back home. If she had found her way in, there had to be a way out.

One day Beatrice was packing her back. Fruit bars, her favourite clothes, some pictures of her mom and her dad, a notebook and a pencil case Riley had given her for 11th birthday. Even though Beatrice wanted nothing more but to bring her laptop, that had been her trusty 'Machine With All The Answers' for quite some time now, it didn't fit in her backpack. Besides, she doubted the laptop would have much answers for what to do in a situation like this. She had already checked every website on apocalypses, so at least she was somewhat prepared.

She had tried to find something about the world turning upside down, the sky becoming the ground and the trees and earth becoming the sky, but she didn't find anything on that subject. Flying fish that could talk also didn't generate a lot of results...

In the time that had passed she had become friends with the polite turtle. Apparently he and his friends went on a swim every morning and her house was on their route. His name was Oliver. Beatrice only had small conversations with him, but right now she felt like he was her only friend in the world.

She stood outside of her house that morning with her backpack and her favourite clothes on. Black pants and a warm striped, yellow and black, sweater. She had put some comfortable shoes on, it was probably going to be a long walk.

Beatrice took a look at her watch. Oliver was going to pass her house any minute now.

There he was. A small smile appeared on his green face when he came closer.

"Goodmorning, Oliver."

"Goodmorning, Bee."

"I'm going to try to find my way back home. To my real home, I mean."

"To the Old World?" The turtle had stopped his 'swimming'. His friends floated on without him. "Do you think it's possible to go back?"

"Yes, it has to be." Beatrice sounded more unsure than she wanted to. She had to convince herself it was possible to go back, otherwise... No, she didn't want to think about it. "I found my way into this world, I can find my way back out."

"Well, if you find your way to the Old World, please let me know. I miss the sea. A lot of us miss it. I didn't know you, as a human, would miss the Old World too."

"I miss it a lot actually."

Oliver gave her a warm smile. "I hope you find your way back."

"Do you think you could help me? I don't think I can do it alone."

"Of course you can't, you're just a little human girl. Sadly, I can't help you. I have to stay here with my friends and family."

That hurt a little. "Oh..."

"What if you never find your way back?"

Beatrice was starting to realize this turtle wouldn't be of much help. "I will find my way back," she said with a very irritated tone.

"Oh, yes sorry. Of course." The turtle looked unsure. "Wait, I may know someone who can help you."

"Who?"