In Mud

Thank you to jijifijiTeresSue, and fateclaws, for their kind votes and comments to the previous chapter! 

Thank you to TheTalentAwards for adding this book to their reading list. 

"I am afraid, Bard," Thorin said, leaning over the battlements, "We cannot give you your gold. The carts are to heavy too lift and we cannot lower them by ropes over the wall. And, since I cannot risk opening my doors, you will have to wait until all is secure."

His eyes smiled with something akin to smugness but Bard only slapped his hands against his thighs and said, "I know not what you have against me, Thorin Oakenshield, but I applaud you for your ability to hold onto gold as long as you may."

Thorin turned as Thranduil emerged behind him. The elf put a hand on his shoulder. "Thank you for giving me a glimpse of your realm and a chance to see my sons. With work, I do not doubt Erebor will once again makes eyes and hearts glow."

"Hmm," said Thorin. He grinned. "I sense some envy, elf king." His voice grew haunted. "And, while these halls will bring you to your knees with their glory, never again will the Arkenstone, the King's Jewel, the Heart of the Mountain, bring tears to all who behold it."

Thranduil's grip tightened in comfort, sensing his loss. "I am sorry."

Thorin shook himself. "Well, with Smaug at the bottom of the lake, what can be done? Have you left your armor in my halls now as well as your sons?"

Thranduil glanced down at his tunic and smiled. "No; I chose not to wear it for this expedition. I cannot embrace my sons and feel their warmth through cold metal, can I?"

Thorin grunted. "Any dwarf worth his gold could. Better be on your way, elf king, you have overstayed your welcome."

Thranduil took the second invitation as swiftly as the first and stepped off the battlements, jets of flame slowing his descent. He leaned to his left and laid a hand on Bard's knee, murmuring, "Do not worry for your gold; it is not worth your time when you are needed elsewhere. Come, we return to Dale."

"But," Bard said.

"Dale will be restored," Thranduil said softly. "And gold will not be needed."

Bard glanced at Thorin before he wheeled his mount and headed back to Dale. Gandalf's horse cantered alongside Flyfire, Thranduil's mount. He looked at the elf with a curious expression.

"Have no worry, Mithrandir," Thranduil said. "I know what I am doing."

"Your earth bender is with Raileen," Gandalf said. "And I doubt they will return."

"You are free to doubt," Thranduil acknowledged. "But I have none." He tapped Flyfire and the moose surged ahead.

Gandalf's face frowned but smoothed as Bard indicated the figure ahead. "Can we trust him?"

Gandalf considered. "He is many centuries old; he has wars under his belt, and great power at his command. We can trust him. He will keep his word to restore Dale, at least."

Bard nodded, some anxiety fading into the back of his dark eyes.

"Thranduil is our ally and friend," Gandalf finished. "To make him an enemy, one would have to do something terrible indeed."

OoOoO

Thranduil rode out the back exit of Dale and proceeded toward the lake. Flyfire's hooves cracked over the rock as he trotted. He reached the shoreline and crossed the beach, stopping at the water's edge. A gentle wave lapped his hooves.

Thranduil dismounted, water splashing up to his ankles. He crossed his arms and stared out toward Mirkwood, waiting.

A gentle fountain erupted near him. In the waist-deep water, Ciran's blue-green head appeared. He waved to his brother as he waded to join him. His clothes were dry when he stepped onto land.

"Well?" Thranduil demanded.

Ciran shook his head. "Nothing. I combed the lake's bottom but there is no sign of Smaug."

"Dragons do not dissolve with such speed, do they?"

"In my experience, no. but as a creature of fire, drowned in water he may have liquified."

Thranduil clucked his tongue. "Perhaps. I will be in Dale. You and Jaiz will be needed so do not stray far."

Thranduil mounted and Ciran nodded as he retreated back into the water. "We will be here, gwador nin. We do not abandon family."

Thranduil turned Flyfire with a smile, his silky hair brushing his cheek as he looked back. "I do not believe you would."

"I did not mean family alone," Ciran called. "I would not turn my back on the world if it needed me."

"And it will," Thranduil whispered. He tapped the moose's side and said, "No bender with their heart in the right place would look away when the very earth cries out for them."

Ciran dove into the lake with a smile. The tendrils of his hair floated for a moment on the ripples before his fingers parted the liquid before him and he slid away into the depths of the lake.

Flyfire trotted uphill. Thranduil's arms hung at his sides, his knees holding firm to his mount. He swayed with the rhythm of each step.

And, within Erebor, Thorin said and brooded upon his throne, his great fur cloak drawn about him as he stared out at the hall. The weight of his crown seemed heavy upon his brow.

Further within the mountain, Tauriel and Kili sat together on a high ledge, contemplating the choices in each other's faces. There was no nagging doubt remaining as the moonlight washed it away and gave breath to love's first kiss.

It was the only moment of peace few would have in the days to come.

Thank you so much for reading; I always love hearing your thoughts!

Next Chapter: Legolas does not realize what he sees.