Serpents

Thank you to fateclaws, blackgokurealy, and RinethOfTheValar for commenting and voting on the previous chapter! 

Thank you to TeresSue for adding this book to her reading list! 

The dwarves rushed to the edge of the lake and stared at the approaching vessel as it came around a bend in the shore. It was a large barge with a single sail steered by an oar. It came to rest on the shallow bottom of the lake and a man alighted. He stared at the dwarves as he reached for his longbow.

Dressed in shirt and trousers, covered by a coat of rusty brown, he was no doubt a man of Laketown. His dark eyes bored into the dwarves.

Brenen strode forward. "My dear fellow, you must be our transport."

The man's lips moved beneath his moustache before he said, "I was told I would be picking up cargo here."

"And you expected barrels?" Brenen said.

"To be truthful, yes," the human admitted.

Brenen drew himself up. "I am Brenen Thranduilion, Prince of Mirkwood. My father requested a barge be sent here to take Thorin and company into Laketown and then onward to the opposite shore. King Thranduil is a fair businessman and your services will be paid for. Naturally."

The human eyed Brenen before he glanced at the dwarves. "I cannot enter Laketown without the proper pass for passengers."

Brenen grinned. "Nasty bit of goods at the gate, aye? I dare say I am pass enough, my dear fellow! Let us carry on and I shall deal with our entry into your lovely town on the lake."

"I could be arrested," said the man.

Brenen reached into his belt pouch and emptied it into the human's hand. "Five, ten, twenty, sixty gold. Should be enough for all of us and to keep your family from starving if you are put behind bars. And your name is?"

The human shook himself before he pocketed the coins. "Ah—um—Bard—Bard of Laketown."

Brenen clapped his hands together. "Lovely to meet you. Shall we start the boarding now, Bard?"

Bard felt his jingling pocket before he moved aside and gestured to the barge. "Please, be my guests."

The dwarves piled onto the craft. Bilbo and Brenen stepped up last as Bard joined them. He used the oar to shove the vessel into the water and turned the sail to catch the wind. It surged forward, heading toward the center of the lake.

"What is your business in Laketown?" Bard asked. "It is not every day dwarves pass through in the company of royalty."

"Quite right," Brenen agreed. "We are passing through and heading for the lands beyond."

Bard looked sharply at the elf before he fell into silence, staring out ahead over the water. A wide cluster of houses and buildings came into view, spread out over the surface of the lake. The vague forms of people moved about the houses while boats glided on the waterways.

Bard guided the barge up to the only waterway leading into Laketown. It was blocked by a wooden gate and the vessel stopped alongside a building. A door opened and a man stepped out onto the planks, dressed in a black robe with greasy hair on his shoulders. He stood half-slumped, creeping forward like a coyote on the hunt.

"Well, well, well, Bard," he sneered, his lips a natural sneer, his leery eyes glinting. "What is this I see?"

Bard turned to Brenen with a small sigh. "This is Albert; the Master's second hand."