Cracked Crowns

Thank you to IamTheNightWalkerblackgokurealyjoellamariahjijifiji, and fateclaws for commenting and voting on the previous chapter! 

Thank you to fateclaws and jennyalex8 for adding this book to their reading lists! 

And, since several people have asked, this book is not a romance between Thranduil and Thorin! It seems the cover I created was misleading, so I have crafted a new cover that I fancy more then the previous one. Thank you kindly for your understanding. 

Thranduil raised his head from his hand as Mykar stepped up onto the throne platform with a slight but unnecessary bow. He was dressed in a blue robe belted at the waist.

Seeing the book and scroll he held, Thranduil groaned. "Mykar, this is not the time for questions on office work."

"I have not come with that intention," Mykar said. "I overheard your conversation with Thorin."

At the sound of Thorin's name, Thranduil snapped, "Leave me."

"No," said Mykar.

Thranduil's eyebrows shot to his hairline. "How dare you disobey me!"

"You allowed your anger to rule you," Mykar said. "If you had used reason, you could have reached an agreement with Thorin."

"Mykar!" Thranduil roared. "I will not have my actions questioned by you, of all inexperienced people!"

Mykar swallowed. "I know you are angry Thorin hurt Legolas. But you are ignoring everything you have taught me about negotiation. I am worried about Legolas, but I think you went too far with Thorin; the lightning bolt was accident."

He saw Thranduil's hand in the corner of his vision before it jerked his head to the side. Even as he did it, Thranduil clenched his hand back, horrified. In all his years, he had never struck his children.

Mykar's face stayed turned from him, a red mark blossoming on his cheek with Thranduil's guilt. As he stood, Thranduil saw the hurt brimming in his son's eyes. His slap may as well have been a knife.

"Mykar," Thranduil whispered.

"I will not forgive you," Mykar said, his voice shaking. "Now you treat me like Thorin."

Dropping book and scroll at Thranduil's feet, he strode away, his hands clenched at his side and tears cold on his cheeks. He left Thranduil standing half-dazed, his lips trembling, his heart in pieces. When he looked at his hand, he wanted to cut it off.

"Thranduil!"

He turned, dismayed and ashamed to see Cinwe standing behind him, her eyes wide and her mouth half-open. "What have you done? You hit him, our own son, without thought or care! You hit him when he was only trying to show you sense! If I were human, I would slap you hard."

She shook a finger under Thranduil's nose, and he blinked, his arms going limp. "I was not thinking."

"An apology is in dire order," Cinwe said.

Thranduil shook himself. "Yes, of course, immediately."

Cinwe watched him hurry away. She turned as Brenen hopped off the stairs behind her. "You father has unsettled business with Mykar, but I am here, and my ears are open."