Chapter Six

I woke up early the next day, I picked my phone and looked at the time, I was quite early so I decided to call my mom.

"Hello Mom". I said as she picked the call.
"Hey sugar, I thought you were angry with me, it's been a long time". She replied and I blushed.
"It's not like you even missed me or tried to stop dad from sending me back to Nigeria".

"I'm thinking of signing the divorce papers, your father has been behaving funny lately". She said and I sighed.
"Mom, you have to save your marriage, you can't blame him what he does behind your back".
"Do you want us to communicate in French?". She asked me.
"No, I'm not in the mood to speak French". I answered.

"You sound depressed, hope you're not stressed up, hope your aunt is taking care of you?". She asked.
"Mom, I'm totally fine". I lied. I couldn't tell her what I was going through, it would only add to her problems.

"Are you sure?" She asked.
"Yeah Mom, whatever happens, don't sign that divorce papers, you don't want to be divorced, you only have to tolerate his behaviors". I answered.

"Well, I'm not tolerating his stupid and childish behaviors".
"Childish behaviors? They're not childish, they're what I call acts of love, giving you flowers isn't childish Mom, I know you're irritated by that, he's only trying to show his love for you". I replied.

"And what do you, an SS3 student know about relationships or hope you're not ......"
I cut in immediately. "I'm not into any relationship, who told you about his affair with another woman?" I asked.

"Joke Makinwa". She answered and I laughed.
"Don't tell me you're believing that gossiper, she's a liar and will always be one". I replied.
"Take care of yourself"
I smiled and cut the line, I ran into the bathroom and quickly had a quick bath, it was Saturday so I didn't have anywhere to go, I just went to the parlor after brushing my teeth.

I quickly arranged the whole house and cooked a delicious food for my aunt, I recalled how Charles snubbed me yesterday and I just smiled. He was never a serious person.

My aunt walked in with a smile. "You're learning how to cook, that's nice". She said and I scoffed.
"You don't care about me, do you? All you worry about is your prostitution work". I replied.

"Do we have to go through this, do we?" She asked.
"You're a prostitute and that's a bad thing". I answered.

"Shut up, you spoilt brat". She retorted. "You're forgetting something, you're forgetting the fact that you're not my daughter and also not my responsibility". She reminded and sat down.

"Of course, what do I know?" I asked.
"And who knows, maybe one day you'll be a prostitute like me". She said and I scoffed.
"I will never be like you".
"Says someone who's accused of murder at school". She said and my heart beat increased rapidly.

"And .... And ... How did you.. know... about... about that?". I asked stammering.
"Surprised?". She asked with a chuckle.
"It's not funny, I'm framed for a crime I didn't commit".
"And who says you didn't commit it?". She asked and I rolled my eyeballs in confusion.

"Toni, it's a pity your mother was senseless to let you come leave with me". She said.
"With all due respect aunt, my mom isn't senseless".

"Well, she is, she stole your dad away from me, I was the one who dated Richard first, he was mine before your mom snatched him away from him by getting pregnant for him before their marriage and Richard was someone who liked children, he had no choice than to marry her". She said.

"You're joking right? My mom won't do such a thing, my dad didn't marry my mother because she was pregnant with me, he married her because he loved her". I replied and she laughed.

"That's what you think, I won't turn you over to the police yet because I have my plans and don't you play dumb with me, don't you dare trying to escape from this house or tell your mom everything we've discussed today". She said.

I looked at her with a frown on my face. "I won't". I replied.

"That's great, I guess we just have to pretend to be families".
"Don't you have a heart?" I asked.
"Well, I asked myself this question once but it dawned on me that it was a stupid question, your mother had a heart before she betrayed me".
"I have to go, I'll be back before evening". I replied and walked to the door.

"Won't you eat?" She asked as I wore my black hoodie.
"No I won't" I answered.
"And how am I sure it isn't poisoned?" She asked and I smiled.
"Aunt, I could be dangerous sometimes". I sent a warning to her and the expression on her face changed.

I needed to find out anything, maybe something tangible that I could use to prove my innocence, I came out of the house and walked to the main road taking a bike to the school.

The school's gate was opened so I walked in and went straight to the girl's hostel when I discovered that all of them were outside.
I walked into the room that room that the deceased had shared with Mariam and Mercy before her death.

I closed the door and walked to her bed, I brought out her bags, there were two bags, I opened the first one and emptied some of the documents on the bed and began going through it. I didn't see anything suspicious, it was only her credentials, I kept the documents back in the bag and looked at the second bag.

I unzipped the bag and brought out a document. It was a different document filled with dust, I sneezed and the documents fell to the floor from my hand, I picked it up and a letter fell from my hand, I placed the documents in the bag and bent down to pick the letter when I heard Mariam's voice, she was almost at the door. I quickly threw the letter in the bag and zipped it back.

Then her voice grew louder which indicated she was already at the front of the door. My heart raced.

To be continued
Do you want to know what happened next, then vote, comment and also add to your reading list❤️❤️❤️❤️