Chapter Ten

"Afraid of men?". I asked confused.
"Yes, she was hiding something, she definitely was".
"That sounds strange, why didn't she talk about what she was going through to you?". I asked.
"I don't know, why are you this gentle, she told me about you, how she would have loved to be friends with you but you were this quiet type". She said.

"Yes, I hardly ever get to do anything responsible, she treated me like a child so I became the quiet type, I only had three friends who my mom later warned them to stay away from me".
"Why did your mom do that?". She asked.

"She's been betrayed before by her best friend so she decided that friends were nothing to her". I answered.

It was true that my mom always sheltered me, in their eyes I was still a baby but they sent me back to Nigeria.
"I understand now". She said and I smiled.
"Did she have a private lesson teacher?" I asked.
"Yeah, Mr Douglas, I wrote a letter that I needed a school teacher and they gave me Mr Douglas".

"How was she coping with Mr Douglas?" I asked.
"The first three weeks, her performance in school increased rapidly, then after that, it decreased and she complained that Mr Douglas shouldn't tutor her again". She answered.

"Don't you think this is somehow connected to mr Douglas?". I asked.
"No, I don't think so, Mr Douglas has been a very good person, I love his character". She answered and I nodded.

"I guess that's all". I replied and proceeded to stop the recording.
"Wait". She said and I looked at her.
"Ma'am, is there another thing you would like to tell me?" I asked.
"Yes, letters, she received letters before I had her transferred to the school's hostel".

"Did you read any of the letters?".
"Yes, I brought one here, it's in my bag". She said and searched frantically for the letter in her bag, then she brought it out in a golden envelope.
She handed it to me and I brought out the letter and read it's inner content.

             Dear Miss Lucy Isidore

I'm sure you know who this is, I don't have to mention my name for security reasons, please give me a feedback on what we discussed.

I read aloud.
This wasn't a proper letter.
"I assumed it was from her boyfriend but the letters became much and she burnt them, I sent her to the school's hostel at once". She said and I looked at her.
"What did they discuss?". I asked her.
"I don't know, I never got a chance to ask her, she felt insecured even in her house".

The door opened and my aunt walked in, she looked surprised to see her in my house.
"Mrs Isidore". She called out in a surprised tone.
"Did you guys know each other?". I asked.
"No, I'm even surprised how she knew my name". Mrs Isidore said and looked at me confused.
"I knew it would be you, I guessed right, you were the only one that would visit my niece". She replied and we smiled.

Of course, I wasn't convinced, she couldn't just guess randomly.
"What's that?" Mrs Isidore asked pointing to the wristband on her hand.
"Ohh this, it's a gift from my friend".
"I'm really surprised, this is exactly like my late daughter wristband". She said and I looked at my aunt. Her face looked tensed.

"Wow, this was given to me by my friend". She repeated.
"Aunt, you already said that". I said.
"Shut up". She fired back as Mrs Isidore stood up.
"I'm going already, I would have loved to stop mg husband from pursuing the case but you know how men are, they always want to be the boss". She said.
"I understand, take care of yourself". I replied and she smiled at me.

"Thanks dear". She said and walked out, I closed the door and walked in. My aunt had removed the wristband and was looking at it.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
"It doesn't feel right". She answered.
"What doesn't feel right?" I asked.
"It doesn't". She threw it in the dustbin and walked into her room, I held my phone and turned off the recording.

My phone rang again and it was dad who was calling. I ignored it and left it ringing. My aunt walked in with a frown. "Aren't you going to pick that up?" She asked.
"I don't think I want to".
"Who is it?" She asked.
"My Dad".
"Don't pick it". She ordered immediately and I stared at her. "Why are you staring at me, I mean if you don't want to pick it, it's best you don't". She added and I nodded.

"So who's your new boyfriend?" She asked.
"Boyfriend?". She asked and laughed.
"I don't keep boyfriends, I keep Chief daddies". She answered.
"Ohh I see, you like the old men". I said and she chuckled.
"Yeah, that reminds me, I won't be at home throughout this week, I'm working on a project". She said and I nodded.

"Okay, I'm off to bed, it's getting dark". I whispered to her and ran to my room. I hurriedly locked the door and brought out the spare key from my pocket. I hid it somewhere she'll never search.

I laid on my bed and my mind drifted to Charles, was I in love with him? I couldn't control my emotions and feelings when he was around. He made me nervous but I noticed I always had the courage talking to him.

I had less than 3 weeks to find the murderers of Miss Lucy Isidore and I was determined to find them.
I plugged my phone and switched off the light, then I slept off unconsciously.

To be continued
I noticed you guys viewed without voting or commenting.... Please vote and comment if you haven't done so..❤️❤️❤️