defeat

It was day two of the Interhigh Prelims.

Karasuno lost against Seijoh.

(Y/N) remembered everything— the team played so well, yet it wasn't enough to get past Aoba Johsai and the great king.

The girl exited the gym alongside Kiyoko. She was on the verge of bursting into tears, but she held it in.

"Well, looks like we won, (L/N)-chan!"

(Y/N) turned around to face none other than Oikawa. She looked at him with a painful expression.

"Why you—" Nishinoya was about to approach him, but (Y/N) held out her arm.

"Next time."

She stared him down. "Next time, we'll beat you."

And with that, she walked away. Nishinoya followed not long after with a scoff.

"Oi, stop picking fights," Iwaizumi ordered, approaching him. "We already won."

"Ne, Iwa-chan, do you know who that girl is?" the setter suddenly queried.

The ace frowned. "No. I just met her yesterday."

"Well, actually, she was quite famous," Oikawa continued." She was a skilled figure skater when she was in middle school. I've recognized her now from a sports magazine. It's a shame that she quit."

Iwaizumi studied the girl, before turning around and slapping Oikawa on the back. "C'mon, we've got another match."

The setter sighed. "Alright, alright."

However, as Iwaizumi walked away, he subconsciously found himself curious about (L/N), the defeated skater.

Meanwhile, back with Karasuno, everyone had a sad aura looming around them. (Y/N) recognized the feeling and sighed.

It's like before, she thought. It's just like before.

The team eventually stopped by a local restaurant, where Coach Ukai treated the players to dinner. Everyone was silent, focused solely on replenishing their energy.

People started to cry. (Y/N) was among the first people whose tears slowly started to slip down her cheeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Y/N) treaded her school's grounds. It was lunchtime, and the teams loss had still loomed over her. Not only that, but she couldn't help but feel nervous that the third years would retire for the Spring Tournament, which would not only separate the team, but leave (Y/N) as the only manager as well, which she felt that would be pushing it.

Not only that, but Suga-san'll leave the team too.., she trailed. Wait, why only Suga-san? You're gonna miss Daichi-san and Asahi-san too! And Kiyoko!

She shook herself out of her thoughts and decided to get herself another box of chocolate milk. As she fished the drink out from the small window, she heard a series of screams sound from the gym.

She shoved the door open, revealing an angry Hinata and Kageyama. Kageyama furiously hit volleyballs, while Hinata ran around the whole gym.

(Y/N) beheld the sight, not saying anything. She let the two vent their frustration and anger, and after a while, asked, "Are you done yet?"

The two turned. "(L/N)-san! What are you doing here?"

The girl took another step so that she was out of the doorway. "I could hear you from outside. If you keep screaming, then someone might call the cops."