special

For some reason, (Y/N) subconsciously found herself trying to avoid Suga the next school day. If they did cross paths though, the two would just be awkward around each other. For instance, (Y/N) had bumped into him in the school's hallway and spent about five minutes trying to get past or make way for the boy.

She veered right, and so did he. They went at it for a bit until (Y/N) said, "Here, you just go ahead."

Suga nodded and quickly shuffled past. (Y/N) clutched her textbooks and kept walking.

This is bad, she thought. And very, very awkward.

She kept walking and heard distinct chatter throughout the halls, whispering about some female third year.

Sure enough, Kiyoko was in the area, all eyes on her. The girl laughed at the sight and approached her casually.

"Hey, Kiyoko," she greeted. "What brings you over to the second years' area?"

The third year relaxed and acknowledged her. "Hey, (Y/N). Did you happen to get those papers to Takeda-sensei? The player profiles?"

(Y/N) searched her brain, then recalled, "Yeah, I turned them in before school started."

Kiyoko smiled. "Great. I just needed to confirm that."

(Y/N) nodded, fumbling with her fingers. The two didn't say anything after that.

"Is there something wrong?" the third year asked.

(Y/N) gently waved her hands. "Mmm. It's nothing."

Kiyoko studied her closely. It was silent for a few, until a loud thud was heard. Two boys dashed out of their classrooms.

"Kiyoko-san!" called Nishinoya and Tanaka. They were running towards the two at a fast pace, until the manager put her hand out, putting them to an abrupt stop.

"What are you doing here?"

"Did you come to see us?"

"I was just visiting (Y/N)—"

The girl stopped speaking. When she referenced the second year, she noticed that she was silent, red flecked across her cheeks. The ghost of a smile appeared on her face.

"(L/N)-san?" asked Tanaka. "Are you okay?"

"What are you smiling about?" added Nishinoya.

(Y/N) snapped out of it. "Y-Yeah, I'm fine, I just need some fresh air..."

And with that, she left.

"Maybe she's not feeling well?" Nishinoya suggested.

"Excuse me." Kiyoko bid the two farewell, and headed in (Y/N)'s direction.

Meanwhile, the girl had fled to the rooftop, where she had lunch with Suga a few days ago. She approached the balcony and placed her hands on the rail.

She daydreamed about what happened the previous night. She felt bubbly whenever she thought about it, like she was on cloud nine.

Or any time she thought of the boy.

Wait, (Y/N), what are you thinking? He's a third year! the girl argued. You still have a ways to go!

Pshh, it's just one year, another side of her countered. It's not like we're super far apart.

Well, he might not even like me! He probably likes other girls...like Kiyoko-san!

You don't know that though!

(Y/N) slapped her cheeks, shaking herself out of her thoughts.

"Pull yourself together, will you?" she demanded aloud.

"(Y/N), are you sure you're alright?"

The said girl turned, where she saw Kiyoko standing in front of her.

She was about to say she was fine, but she knew she couldn't hide stuff from her friend. Plus, she had to reach out to her about it anyway.

"I'm not sick or anything," (Y/N) clarified. "But, something happened after practice yesterday."

Kiyoko approached the girl. "Like what? I thought Sugawara walked you home? Should I have stayed?"

(Y/N) quickly shook her head. "No, nothing bad happened! It's just, I told Suga-san about that one skate I did in junior high, remember?"

Kiyoko relaxed. Of course, the third year knew what (Y/N) was referring to, as she had come to watch her perform in person. She also comforted the girl the rest of the night and during the following morning.

On the other hand, she had purposefully tried to orchestrate leaving them two together, as she sensed something between them. She was also curious as to what would happen if she did so.

The third year moved next to her. "And?"

(Y/N) looked down. "Well...I just told him that I could relate to what happened during the Interhigh. And..."

The girl didn't know how to go on. She definitely did not want to go into detail about the different situations she had been in before, so she decided to maybe not mention that.

"Is it more about Sugawara?" Kiyoko suddenly queried.

(Y/N) exploded. "H-Huh? What more about him?"

"Well, I just thought there might be something special about him."

(Y/N) denied it. "There's nothing special about him! I mean, there are tons of other guys out there with beautiful gray hair, and gorgeous eyes, and has a wonderful, caring smile, and he's super kind, a-and—"

She continued to ramble about the boy. Although she tried to counter what Kiyoko had said, she was simultaneously thinking about the small moments they had, all the times where her heart would suddenly race, where she would become more aware of the little details whenever they talked, how she would light up whenever he was around her.

Then it hit her. The girl put a hand on her mouth.

Did I seriously just—

Kiyoko smiled. "Took you long enough."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a/n:
:oooo