Chapter 5: Lady's Choice

Days went by with Javí hoping that something would turn up that could give them the godfather's whereabouts

Days went by with Javí hoping that something would turn up that could give them the godfather's whereabouts. They still had time before the surrender deal was finalized. But since they weren't sending any new agents to Cali, Javíer's leadership felt hollow and useless. The most productive thing that he had done in days was keep the plant that Eve had given him alive.

It was sad how quiet the office was compared to the amount of Colombian cocaine currently flooding American streets. Javí barely recognized his office. Everyone else was treading water and collecting a pay check.

Well, that wasn't exactly true. Surprisingly, Eve cared. She cared a lot actually. Granted, she wasn't a DEA agent, or a CIA spy for that matter, but she couldn't hide her interest in taking down Cali. Slowly but surely, Eve had surprised him by essentially taking on Duffy and Lopez's investigation along with all of her secretarial duties.

Night after night once everyone had called it a day, Javí would find her alone at her desk going over the same Cornerstone info that he had combed through earlier. For an amateur, Javí was impressed with her dedication and the questions that she asked. It was almost like having Murphy back for half a second. Senator's daughter or no Senator's daughter, Eve really wanted to learn and was usually the last one to leave the office. And because his hands were essentially tied for the moment being, Javí had all the time in the world to educate her.

At first, Javíer had tried to take Ambassador Crosby's advice. He really did try to take it easy and focus on getting acquainted with his new job. But Eve had a way about her that pulled him out of that complacent fog and reminded him why he was back in Colombia in the first place. If it wasn't for their long after hour conversations, you would have thought that the godfathers of Cali were some kind of harmless fairy tale. But Eve took them seriously and saw them for what they were. In the end, Javíer wasn't sure if he was grateful for her enthusiasm, it just reminded him that there was a good chance that Cali wouldn't be brought to justice.

But Javíer's patience did nothing to help the crush that Eve had on him. Granted, she tried her best to keep her mind out of the gutter during their long conversations about the Cali cartel and the history of the cocaine operation in Colombia. But the more that Eve got to know him, the harder it was for her to stop liking him...and harder for her to stop picturing him naked late at night when she was alone in her big empty bed. At first, her hot new neighbour had appealed to her physically; how could he not. But now that she had experienced how Javí's mind worked, the more she liked being around him and looked forward to going to work every morning.

Eve often found herself mesmerized by his voice and how he could easily and authentically pronounce names and places. So much so that she enlisted the help of a friend to tutor her and brush up on her Spanish. She was done embarrassing herself every time she butchered the proper pronunciation. Unfortunately while she was growing up, Eve's parents had insisted that French was a more useful language for her to learn. Eve was kicking herself now that she was living in Colombia and couldn't roll her R's to save her life.