Chapter 4: What Happened?

I'm bad at writing chapters like this, so just suck it up and read it to at least get the idea of what happened...

------------------------------

(Marshall's POV)

I didn't see Bubba for the rest if the weekend, and he was late for his first hour class on Monday. I was actually kind of worried about him, he's not acting like himself lately.

The rest of the week went by slowly. Gumball didn't come to lunch at all, his hair was always disheveled and unkept, and all in all he just seemed really depressed lately.

He ignored everyone too, especially me. Though he knew that he couldn't ignore me forever, knowing we still had to finish our social studies project... At this point I had actually forgotten what the project was even about. I think it was about home life, or what your family's like, or something personal that's supposed to make us friends...

I want to his house that Friday after school, slowly knocking on the door, and waiting for him to answer. After what seemed like an eternity of waiting and continuously knocking like an idiot, the door finally opened, showing an unamused Gumball behind it.

"What?" he asked in a bored tone.

"We need to finish out project... The social studies one," yep, that's my excuse and I'm sticking too it.

"Really? Or are you just here to tell me how pathetic I am?"

"Listen, I don't know what happened with you and that guy over the phone... You just seemed really depressed lately and I just wanted to... You know-"

"Make sure I wouldn't kill myself?"

I was shocked, that wasn't what I was gonna say, but it was basically what I had running through my mind, "... I just wanted to make sure you where okay..." He shut the door in my face. By now I was actually starting to get irritated. Instead of knocking I just walked in, not caring what he had to say about it. "What happened!" I shouted.

"What-"

"What happened over the phone last week that as made you so... Not you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"What happened to the Bubba I knew that was always happy? Was always cheerful and sweet, with that cute stupid smile on your face. What happened that made you lose that?"

"... We broke up." He said softly, after what felt like forever of silence, barely wanting me to hear it. I saw his eyes start to water... And I don't know what came over me. I hadn't even noticed I walked over to him until he was in my arms in a tight hug, as if on instinct. He didn't reject my embrace like I had thought he would... Instead, he returned it. Holding me tightly as I let him softly cry into my shoulder, though it soon turned to sobbing on my chest.

"Want me to go over to his house and kill him?" I asked, trying to lighten the mood. A chuckle escaped his lips as he loosened his grip on my jacket.

"No..."

"Do you wanna talk about it?" What am I doing? Why did I ask that?

"No..."

"Wanna go TP his house?"

"... yeah..."

"You know you could get arrested if we get caught right?"

"Yeah I know..." his answer was muffled into my chest as he spoke.

"Or maybe we could stay here and get our homework over with."

"Or we could do that... sorry," he said as he finally pulled away from me. His face was a light red, but I couldn't tell if it was from crying or... from me?