Twenty

“Is that what you agreed?” asked Odsar. Fen brought the horse to a stop like how Shan Yu and now Odsar had told her how to.
“Yes, some are more reluctant. They hope more people will leave China but…” he trailed off. Seeing the destruction the avalanche had caused, she doubted there would be many more people. “We have stayed here too long, we have to move for the animals too, they need a new place to graze.”

“Gerel and her daughters said that some of them are thinking of trading the gers so there’s less to take with us.”
“That might be a good idea if we can trade them for more horses,” said Shan Yu with a nod. “We have more than enough sheep and cattle now.” There was less people to feed now, a lot less.

He turned from his cousin to Fen with a small smile on his face.
“I think I’m getting better at this,” she said.
“You are but nowhere near good enough to ride your own horse tomorrow,” said Odsar as she crossed her arms. Shan Yu glanced at her and shook his head slightly.
“No matter, you can ride with me if you want,” he said and Fen smiled as she nodded.
“I’d like that,” she said, still wondering how he truly felt towards her.

Hearing a screech above them, Fen looked up to see Hayabusa dive down and land on Shan Yu’s outstretched hand.
“Where’s your eldest son?” he asked Odsar.
“I left him cooking food for us with Sarnai,” she said and motioned for Fen to get off of the mare. “With any luck, it shouldn’t be burnt, why?”
“I wish to talk with him, after we eat, of course.”

Fen’s feet hit the ground and she looked at the two dark haired Huns, not sure what to do.
“I’m guessing you’re both eating with us then,” said Odsar. Shan Yu glanced at Fen and she shrugged. She didn’t really have any idea of what was going on.
“Yes, we will be.”
“Good because I told them to cook extra because I figured you would be eating with us.”

“How did you know that?” he asked.
“Because she doesn’t know how we cook and I doubt you’d remember to eat with all the things you’re thinking about. Gan and Solongo will be eating with us too since Gan was the one who hunted the chickens.”
“Why haven’t they cooked it themselves?” asked Shan Yu. Fen had been thinking the same thing, surely they would cook the food themselves.
“They said that they wanted them to learn,” said Odsar. “And the two of them wanted to have some time to themselves.”

Fen could understand that. The two had been apart for some time and it was a miracle Gan was even alive. As she looked to Shan Yu who had started to follow Odsar, she realised she had to catch up and quickly followed.