Eight

Shan Yu and the man just stared at each other for a while.
“No,” said Shan Yu. “We’re not just travellers.” He watched the man with his piercing yellow eyes and the man nodded.
“Where are your men?” he asked, glancing behind the two of them.
“Dead.”

Fen glanced at Shan Yu. She was surprised at how little emotion he was showing over it. He had been angry, maybe even upset. And now he was… cold. Maybe it was because of the other man.

“We need a place to sleep,” he said. “And warm food would be good.”
The man quickly nodded. “I can help you there,” he said. “Come with me, we can tell my wife to cook some extra food. There’s always some meat left over. Usually we use it the next day…”

The man continued rambling but Shan Yu said nothing to silence the man. Instead, he just followed him back to their home. Fen followed, staying quiet in case she said the wrong thing.

The man’s house was warm and Fen was glad for it, she was glad for proper shelter too.
“My name is Jin, my wife, Lian,” he said. His wife was cooking food in the corner while also looking after a small toddler. “I already know who you are.” Shan Yu just grunted.

Jin started talking to his wife, talking about food and some other things. Fen wasn’t really listening to them. Her eyes lingered on Shan Yu, his face was blank and emotionless. Jin started to head back outside when Shan Yu stopped him.
“It sounded like you need help with wolves,” he said. Jin just stared at him for a moment, stuttering over his words.
“Yes, I do,” he said.
“I’ll help.” Quickly, Jin nodded and left. Shan Yu followed.

Through the door, she could hear the man asking him to not hurt him or his family.

“Are you going to stand there?”
Fen looked over at the source of the voice, Lian. She shook her head as she walked over to the woman. “No.”
“Jin says you’re staying for the night,” she said. Fen nodded and watched Lian look at her child. “We’re having noodles with pork.”
Fen smiled, she hadn’t had noodles in so long. “Can I help you cook?”
Lian stared at her for a moment before nodding. “The help would be appreciated.”