Four

Gritting her teeth, Fen pushed herself off of the ground and managed to stand up. It was still painful despite only being a graze. She struggled to keep moving but somehow she managed it.

At some point, Shan Yu had grabbed her wrist and was half-pulling her between trees and around bushes. Despite it hurting a little, Fen was glad, she would have probably fell and given up if he wasn’t dragging her along with him. It was a very strange thing to be thankful for, she mused.

Fen was certain she felt blood running down her leg as they ran for their lives. She dared not complain about it, she was just thankful an arrow hadn’t gotten stuck in her leg.

Eventually, Shan Yu slowed and stopped. He panted, exhausted. Looking over at Fen, she just nodded as a sort of confirmation that she was okay.
“How is your leg?” he asked. Fen looked up from the ground and shook her head.
“Painful,” she said honestly. “I think it’s bleeding still.” Or had it stopped?

“We’ll stay here for the night but we’ll have to take it in turns sleeping,” he said. “And we’ll have to find water in the morning.”
Fen nodded as she sat down. “That sounds good.” Her breathing was returning to normal, sort of. She was tired. “Can I sleep first?”
“Yes,” he said.

Fen muttered her thanks as she checked her leg. It was only bleeding a little.
“If we find water, we can rip off some fabric and clean it to put on it,” said Shan Yu as he sat on the floor. Fen nodded in agreement, that sounded like a good idea.
“How is your injury? Is it healing?” she asked. He hadn’t mentioned it but Shan Yu wasn’t the type to complain about it. He wouldn’t even tell her that he was injured.
“It was healing, I think this has hurt it more than helped it.”

Fen hummed in agreement, she felt sore and she knew it would only be worse in the morning. She lay down, curled up, on the grass for a while. The ground was hard and cold and she just couldn't sleep.

“Shan Yu?”
“Yes?” He sounded irritated but if she said that it didn't matter, he would be even more irritated. “Can I sleep next to you? It's sort of cold,” she asked quietly. She looked over to him and could see him nod. The sun hadn't long set and it wasn't completely dark yet. “Thank you.”

Fen sat up and awkwardly shuffled across the grass so she was closer to him. Before she could lie back down, Shan Yu wrapped his arm around her and pulled her closer. He was warm, definitely better than lying on the cold hard ground. Fen quickly drifted to sleep.