Episode 10

I was observing the Harper Grant science fair projects for my dad. I started walking between projects making notes when I saw someone who looked familiar. A judge was talking to her.

"You are the biggest brain in the room." The judge told her. As I approached her, I almost gasped in shock. It was Veracity. She was my friend until the eighth grade, when we both went to different schools. I approached the judge.

"Thank you, Todd. I'll take it from here." I told him. He walked away.

"Hi... so what's your project?" I asked her.

"Why did they send a kid to judge my project?" She asked snarkily.

"Well, Veracity. I wouldn't say I'm a kid exactly. More like the daughter of Seth Harper and the person you need to impress with your project." I told her.

"Liza?" She asked. Yea, she called me Liza or Eli, or Eliza. I guess I never told her what my preferred nicknames were and hers I just got used to.

"Hey, Ver." I said. Y'all remember the pronunciation guide from earlier, right? 'Kay great.

"It's been forever." She told me

"Yup. Now what's your project?" I asked her

"Well, in simplest terms, it's like a black hole in a box. It absorbs energy from its surroundings." She told me.

"That's pretty awesome." I told her.

"Hey Liz." A voice said.

"Hi Harris." I said.

"Wait, you know Veracity?" He asked me

"Oh yea. We were best friends. You know her?" I asked Harris

"Wait, you two know each other." Veracity asked

"Yea." I said

"Well, how is the second smartest kid in Bay City doing." Veracity asked Harris. I waved to Ryan and Spyder, who just showed up.

"Second smartest. I'd say last years chess championship proves otherwise Veracity." Harris said

"Yea, but we both won the year before, so we're at a draw." I told him

"Ah yes. The two smartest girls in Bay City." Harris said, annoyed

"kid. You mean the two smartest kids, with you at a close second." Veracity said and I grinned.

"RUN!" I heard Spyder yell.

"So you hang out with them, now." Veracity asked

"Yea, well. It's not just them. Let me introduce you to Julia, Amy and Lily." I said.

"Mmmm. No thanks. I'm fine. So you've replaced me." She said

"Trust me, no one could ever replace you." I said

"Yea, same for you." She said and gave me a hug.

"So... you like anybody?" She asked innocently. I gave her a hard glare and she burst out laughing.

"I miss this." I said.

"So, how's the performing arts school application going?" She asked and we sat down.

"Good, I mean, my dad's agreed to let me go. I've filled out the application forms. They want me to sing for them, though and I'm terrified. I've already sent in a video of my acting, dancing, and instrument skills. Now they just want singing." I told her.

"But you know how to sing, right?" She asked me

"I know how. But I don't like to sing." I told her, "Oh, look, the next round is starting, you better get to your project. I have more to observe." I told her. She nodded when the jocks came in.