twelve :: ice cold lemonade.

十二 | ice cold lemonade.
_______________

woke up at 3 am to drink water, checked my phone and djhkjh i hit 600 reads???? i'm absolutely devastated rn i didn't think this book would gain readers so fast, i'm very very happy :]

slightly shorter chapter today, i apologize. promise i'll make it up!

[ ♪ ]

15:37

"i can't believe you convinced me to come in, ma'am," yoongi grumbled, shoving another checkered cookie in his mouth and downing it with a sip of iced coffee.

my hands were clasping my glass of lemonade, looking deep into it, into the ice cubes swimming through the cold substance. a blurry reflection of me stared back, and i thought that maybe if i kept my gaze on the surface of the beverage, the colors reflected on it would tell me how the inevitable conversation my mother was pushing away would go.

"you'll never be able to resist me and my food, min yoongi. and, please do call me somin," she flashed our signature jeon bunny grin to the boy, snatching a cookie for herself.

her short hair was tied up in a small ponytail, a few jet black strands falling from the grasp of the elastic. she wore a long, silky summer dress decorated with small white flowers, sleeves tightly wrapped around her two arms as she poured more tea in her cup.

"i really missed seeing you two together, it feels like we're ten years in the past."

i let a small smile flutter across my lips, hearing yoongi chuckle as he dipped another biscuit in his coffee. "i thought i was the only one thinking that. if i have to admit, i kind of wore this fit on purpose. wanted the nostalgia to hit me real hard, and i guess it worked. now i just need ya to pass me that one black fender bass i had when i was a kid and i'm all set."

"you know, i've still got pictures of you in middle school. you really stuck by that aerodyne. black was your favorite color all right," my mom snickered, stirring the sugar in her tea with a tiny, frail silvery spoon.

"still have it in my bedroom. hey, i renovated my place a few months back! wanna see pictures? i thought it would be nice to—"

...oh.

i spaced out.

yoongi was right. the nostalgia was hitting me hard. the living room we were sitting in hadn't changed very much since i had last been in it, and that was slowly destroying me. i felt guilty.

guilty of being so absent. guilty of ignoring her calls, guilty of countless things i couldn't name for the life of me, for tears would spew out of my eyes, with no self-control left in me to stop them.

even though my mother had taken me in her arms a few minutes back, whispering in my ear that she would be proud of me no matter what happened, i felt bad for lying.

for saying i came here because i had moved on.

i wasn't even close to that goal. god, i underestimated the distance separating me from that accomplishment, what i could already see before my eyes was nothing short of a mirage, hiding the hundreds of thousands of miles i had to desperately crawl to be able to simply graze the mere idea of happiness.