thirteen :: empathy.

十三 | empathy.
_______________

thank you all endlessly for 750 reads!! 💙💙

[ ♪ ]

december 11th, 2009

"pick up, please," i quietly begged, pacing around the hallway in a frenzy as i bit the dried skin off of my lips, concern drizzled all over my pale features, worry quickly spreading throughout my veins and pooling at the bottom of my stomach. "come on,"

a soft crackle was heard on the other line, and my face visibly lit up, an exhale leaving my dried lips as i rested my back on the decorative brick wall behind me.

"hello?"

"jimin!" i sighed in relief, tightly clutching the bottom of my uniform jacket and sliding down the wall to sit down on the floor. "why aren't you at school? what happened? are you okay? is it your dad? is it—"

"no, i— it's just—" he stumbled for a response, stuttering before a quiet, high-pitched sneeze resonated from the opposite end. i frowned in confusion, concern filling my mind once again. "i'm alright, ggukie. it's— " he was interrupted by a short sniffle, the sound of a nose being quietly blown. "it's just a small c–cold, i promise i'm fine. don't worry about me, okay? don't take notes for me either, we both know how that'll end up," he giggled, a twinkling little sound that briefly covered up the fact his voice was muffled, weak from the sickness.

"right," i pursed my lips, sitting up again, tightly clutching the flip phone i held to my ear as jimin softly whispered sweet nothings to me before ending the call.

oh, he knew i wouldn't listen to him. not a bit.

11:17

"c'mon, minnie! say aah..."

"fuck you. i hate your guts! it's just a silly little fever, why are you here anyway?!"

a fond smile grew on my face as the older boy sitting in front of me crossed his arms over his chest, turning his face away from the spoon i held over his lips and doing so every time i attempted to redirect it back to him, attempting not to laugh and spill the cough syrup everywhere.

piles and piles of snow covered the scenery outside, to the point where i nearly had to shovel my way from school to jimin's house, my uniform pants soaked to the knee from my short trip to the pharmacy.

"wouldn't have let myself live it down for years if i had left you to rot in the sadness of your own bedroom all day," i began, holding the spoon down to talk to him. "can i please care about you? you're all that matters to me right now, let me take care of you like you've taken care of me."

he chewed on his bottom lip, quickly ripping his gaze away from mine once he realized he had been staring at me for way too long for it to be considered a regular pause to hold before answering.

"look— fine... that was— that was really sweet and— and thanks a lot, but— i'm not gonna let myself be fed the damn medicine! i'm an independent woman!"

"jimin, you're neither of those two things."

"don't care."

his cheeks were redder than usual, hair pushed back comically far by a cheap bandana and flushed, gleaming, scorching hot forehead in view. i had to stop myself from flicking it, knowing i would have started something close to world war three if i dared to do so.