The End- Part I

The news of starting a rebellion spread. Residents of the cult were smart enough to keep the incident discreet. The next day, early in the morning before the sun had risen, fifteen people gathered  at the riverside. Colin, Edna, Lily and Derek stood at the front and they did not want to host the meeting at Georgia for security reasons.

An old man from the gathering walked up to the four

"Excuse me, may I know where you are planning to host the meeting?" He asked.

"Here. It will be over before dawn breaks. "Derek said.

The old man shook his head with disagreement.

"This is not discreet! I know a better place. I hope you have a couple of boats." He said with a wise smile and walked away.

"Boats?"Lily asked.

"Ya. We have them." Derek said with doubt.

The group took boats which were primarily meant for rides in the river. Moreover, there was nothing else. The group rode up  the river. Moving against the current was a difficult task. The initial rays of the sun seeped into the dark sky. The birds woke up and celebrated the new day with their sharp and melodious chirping. The gentle sound of the river flowing and the swishing sound of the oars when they met the water created a positive vibe for everyone.The river became narrower as they reached closer to their destination, the canopy of trees became thicker. So much so that very little sunshine could pass through and touch the water. Occasionally, a deer would come by the bank to drink some water. Nature had them all mesmerized.

The old man was sitting in the front most boat giving directions to Colin who was rowing it. After a tiresome upstream rowing the old man raised his hand indicating everyone to be quiet and stop rowing. The people obediently followed.

A little ahead to their right was a beautiful and small temple that was no longer in use. It had algae and moss covered all over it, it's steps at the entrance began from the river water, part of the temple had partly broken down due the passage of time. The roots of trees grew alongside the temple, creepers and climbers had covered the shrine and some were dangling at the entrance. It was a magnetic sight, it reminded them of their ancestors who would pray to their gods in such places.

Everyone silently yet quickly anchored their boats and tied it to the bank.

"How did you even know this place existed?"Colin asked the old man with amazement.

"I love to explore new places. When I was young I wanted to see the source of this river. I traveled this far and was immediately drawn to this temple." The old man said and looked back at the temple remembering his young days.

"So did you find the source?"Colin asked.

The old man looked back at him.

"Unfortunately no. A few kilometres ahead lies the cult boundary there is a wall of poisonous thorny bushes. The river passes through it. The source is somewhere in the woods." He said disappointedly.

The thought of the bushes angered Colin. He knew that innocent travelers were murdered over there. He felt living in the forest was safer than reaching the cult entrance. At least, people knew to stay away from Nectra.  He shook away all his angry thoughts.

The old man led all the people inside the temple.

It had marvelous carvings of elephants, men and women dancing, members of royalty and gods and goddesses. 

"Watch out for snakes. Don't mistake them to be creepers."the old man told the people and giggled to himself as if he was remembering an old incident.