25 𖠇 A Carnival in Town

I get a call a Friday afternoon after watching a movie with my mom in the living room. As soon as the ending credit rolled on screen, I gave her a kiss on the cheek, placed the empty popcorn bowl left with stains of hot sauce in the sink, and entered my room with a roaring yawn. With no homework due soon and no desire to use the phone, I glance at my small bookshelf in the dark room, enlightened by the Christmas lights wrapped around them. At the same time the door shuts behind me, I head towards the shelf and pick up the book I was reading last night, pulling it by the spine and throwing it in my bed. Once underneath my bedsheets, my phone vibrates underneath my pillow. With my eyes on the page, I sneak my hand down to pull my phone and glance at the screen.

   Oscar is calling.

   I instantly put the book down, not minding the fact that I lost my page, and start clearing my throat before answering. "Hey."

   "Hello, beautiful," he says from the other side, voice a little groggy. I already know the reason with no need to ask—he was recently released from work. "What are you doing?"

   I look around my room as if I had no clue what I was doing a few seconds ago. "I was about to start reading a book," I reply, straightening up and intertwining my legs underneath me.

   "Of course," he says, followed by a short chuckle. "I wanted to tell you something."

   "What is it?" I ask, playing with a curl by twirling it around my finger like every girl in a teenage rom-com.

   "I just got out of work and passed a new carnival that arrived in town a few days ago," he explains. He has not finished talking, but I am already smiling, aware of what he is about to say. "It is opening tomorrow."

   "Yeah," I add, biting my bottom lip. "Genesis talked to me about it."

   I hear him shift around the bed, squeaking from years and years of being used. "I am taking Al there and I was wondering if you wanted to join us?"

   I grin as I stare at the ceiling, glad I was right about my assumption. "Yeah, sure!" I tell him, hoping I didn't sound incredibly enthusiastic even though I genuinely was. "I'll be there."

   "Your boyfriend won't be jealous, will he?" he brings up, not being serious. However, there is a slight sourness in his voice that hints at jealousy no matter how much he tries to drown it.

   I shake my head even though he can't see me. "There's no reason for him to be," I reply, wishing we didn't have to do this—hide from others our feelings. What would it be like to have met Oscar without ever coming across Genesis and Harvey? At the end of the day, he would've still been partnered with me after his months in the room designated for troublemakers.

   "Good cause I want you all to myself tomorrow," he makes clear. Even though I cannot see him, I can still picture him smiling and a hand behind his head as he stares at the ceiling.

   I run a hand across my cheek, expecting to feel the warmth but feeling nothing instead.

   "Theo—"

   I hear the door open in his room and Al's voice takes over his.' "Dad, Nana wants you to go eat," her soothing voice says. "Now."

   "Alright, princess," he responds to her. "Tell her I'll be there in a sec." With that, he comes back to me: "I'll text you later, alright? I am about to go eat and my mom does not like eating unless the whole family is at the table."

   "Sure. I'll wait for your text," I say, a little bummed that he can't stay in line longer. "Greet everyone for me."

   "I will," he says, the bed squeaking once again as he stands up. "Sleep tight, Theo, and feel free to dream of me." He whispers the last words.