CHAPTER 23: Empty Sheets

Song: Empty Sheets by Lourdes Maglinte ft. Kyle Wong
I guess there's nothing left
But suitcases and travel bags
And memories all scattered on the floor

The song started playing. She decided to set it as her morning alarm the day she and Sam parted ways she felt the song right into her veins and she immediately knew she needed to hear it every morning as she woke up as a reminder that she was alone.

We've been hanging by a thread
And both been staying out of bed
I didn't mind when you walked out the door

I thought I was fine, that I was free
But now I ended up wishing you come back to me

Hannah opened her eyes and was greeted by the morning sun. It has been 7 days since she and Sam slept with bodies together, crying through the night. It has been a rough week, and she would come back to work tomorrow.

Why did I let you go, set you free
Say goodbye and leave me
Why don't you give me a chance
Come back to me
'Cause I don't wanna sleep
And wake up on empty sheets

One chance is all I'm asking
I give you all that I am
But if you won't, I'll understand

Sam was right. As much as they wanted to be with each other, they just can't. She swore to the universe that if they were given another chance – maybe in another lifetime – she'd never let Sam go and they can make it work.

She sighed and then went out of bed. She knew where she'd be heading today – the same place she has been heading to, first thing in the morning for the past days – at the Starbucks near Treston, where she met Sam.

She took a shower and prepared herself. She got inside her car and drove to Starbucks.

She ordered a grande Iced Espresso and Matcha Fusion and a lasagna, and quickly got seated on the same table she once shared with Sam. This has been her routine for the last 7 days. She'd stay there for atleast an hour or two, hoping Sam would show up but didn't.

'I missed you Sam.' She mentally let out. 'Why didn't we take the risk? Why didn't I?'

'I knew I fell way too deep, I know you did too. Why didn't we try?'

'This is so sad.'

'Our love didn't even get to see the worth in risking.' She mentally laughed sadly.

'Our love will always be a what if.'

'Our love will always haunt me. Our love will always haunt me thinking it should have been worth the fight, worth the risk.'

'We were to dumb, too afraid.'

'If only we were that courageous.'

'We would've been together right now.'

'And I wouldn't even be in this lonely table hoping for you to show up at the door.'

'And I wouldn't be this lonely.'

She stood up as soon as she finished eating her lasagna, she held her half empty drink and headed through the door to her car, and drove back to her unit.

It was yet another day without Sam.

~~

"Hannah." Someone called her from behind which made her stop from doodling in her desk. It was 10 AM and she was back in the precinct. She started doodling off her time until there was a new open case. She turned to where the voice had come from.

"Hi, Sid." Hannah replied with little to no enthusiasm to Sam's twin, Sidartha Salazar.

"Welcome back!" Sid cheerfully went to Hannah's desk to give her the flowers she had hidden from her back.

"Wow! You brought these for me?" Hannah was surprised by Sid's action.

"Well, yeah?" Sid responded.

"Thanks." Hannah tried to lift her mood up trying not to offend the other girl, as she looked at the flower bouquet – they were pink lilies, her favorite.

"How did you know I'd like these?" Hannah asked.

"Wild guess." Sid replied with a wide smile, which Hannah reciprocated right away.

"Robles, Salazar, a minute please." Captain Romero called from his office.

The two immediately went to the captain's office.

"Hannah, I'd like to formally welcome you back to the precinct." The captain stated and exchanged smiles with Hannah.

"Thank you, sir! I kinda missed this precinct." Hannah replied.

"Well, I'd also like to formally inform you about the future whereabouts of your partner." Captain Romero said and then looked at Sid.

"Hannah." Sid started. "It has been a great couple of months serving the precinct with you."

'Where is this going? Is she going to leave me, too?' Hannah was in the brisk of crying.

"I'll surely miss you, partner." Sid added.

Hannah exactly knew where the conversation was heading. Was she always meant to be left alone?

"I'm moving back to Sweden. Bea and I will be starting our own family." Sid continued, and Hannah and the captain were just listening closely.

"The wedding's still a year from now and I hope you can come. Hopefully, with a partner when that time comes." Sid genuinely said. "I'll miss you, honestly."

Hannah couldn't help it anymore – all the tears she has been holding finally broke out. Sid immediately hugged her.

"Was I always meant to be left alone?" She cried. She cried hard.

Sid just hugged her tightly and caressed her back in little circles.

"I'll give you two a moment." The captain stated and immediately left his office.

Hannah was still crying.

"Hannah, I'll miss you too." Sid assured. "It has been great being your colleague."

After a few minutes, Hannah finally settled down.

"I'll miss you Sid. Take good care always - you and Bea, and your family." Hannah genuinely said and gave her sweetest smile to Sid.

"You take care, also." Sid replied. "You're kind, courageous, and beautiful, Hannah. Your partner is still on the way. And when the time finally comes, you'll be the happiest. I wish you all the happiness the world could give. You deserve it all."

Hannah smiled at Sid's words. She was hopeful.

—————
This was my first story ever written.
I just want to say thank you to all you for giving this a chance 💖
It's hard to say good bye but I'll say it otherwise.
It has been a roler coaster ride - for Hannah and Sam, at least.
💖💖💖

all my love,
aaszxc