CHAPTER 24: Waste Your Time

"Robles, come over." Captain Romero called. Hannah immediately went to him. Captain Romero was sitting on a bench overlooking the Taal Lake. The members of the whole morning shift of the precinct were in Tagaytay for a team building activity. It was half past one o'clock and the team was still resting from lunch.

"Yes, sir?" Hannah asked.

"Come over, sit with me. You have something to tell me and I have something to tell you." His words made Hannah slightly anxious. She proceeded to sit with the captain.

"Ikaw talagang bata ka, hindi ka na nagkukwento sa akin." Captain Romero jokingly complained.

"What to kwento naman po, sir?" Hannah innocently asked. She did not know where the conversation was heading.

Captain Romero laughed slightly. "Kamusta naman yung mission mo sa Cebu?"

Hannah's heart, on instinct, immediately pumped more blood than usual. "Well, it was a success."

"Ay talaga!" Captain Romero jokingly raised his voice. "Alam mo ikaw, isang sagot pa na ganyan, ipropromote talaga kita sa desk job."

Hannah laughed. "What do you want to know ba, captain?"

"The details Hannah, the details. Like sino yung partner mo dun, s'an kayo tumira."

"Confidential po yung identity, captain. At yung details ng mission, confidential din po." Hannah replied honestly.

"Ay nako, wala talaga akong mapapala sa'yo." Captain Romero joked again. "Eto nalang..." He cleared his throat before speaking again. "What happened back there, bakit pagbalik mo mas lalong bumusangot yang mukha mo?"

"Ha? Hindi ah." Hannah defensively answered.

"Pero ano nga? I'm your mentor, kid. I know you well. I know when something's bugging you. Akala ko ba tapos na yan after the closure with your boyfriend."

Captain Romero's words hit her hard. Indeed, she had not been telling her mentor anything after the closure. She has been keeping it all to herself.

"You know, it's better to have someone to share your problems with, kid. I can be one of them." Captain encouraged her.

Hannah sighed heavily. She really has no way out. The captain always seems to find ways to get her to talk.

"Well, before the closure, I met this girl at Starbucks and I thought it was really just a small crush." Hannah opened.

"Ohhh. So it's a girl." Captain Romero knowingly smirked at her.

"The girl turned out to be Detective Salazar. That's why I was only that shocked when you introduced me to her. And we got along and I admired her more, until she said she had a girlfriend."

Captain Romero laughed sadly.

"And soon after, she told me she's engaged. It actually broke my heart. She doesn't even have an idea that I have been crushing hard on her."

The captain was just listening intently.

"I thought I was into her, until the night we chased Mason Fire."

"What happened back there?" Captain Romero asked.

"Salazar was shot on the right shoulder and that guy Felipe was about to shoot me straight to the heart when someone saved me."

"Someone?" Captain Romero asked curiously. "And this someone became your partner in Cebu, to save the identity?"

"Yes. Exactly." Hannah replied and earned a nod from Captain Romero.