5. Hell is my life

Chapter 5

I was finally there.

It was a very long flight, but I slept through most of it.  Once I got off of the plane, I took a cab to my mother’s house. And when I was through with that, I was where I was now.  Standing on the doorstep, deciding weather I should knock or not.  I mean, I did go all that way just so I could see her for a while.  But would she be happy to see me?

Of course.

And with that, I made a fist and knocked on the door, not thinking about the fact that it was 5:30 in the morning.  They were probably still sleeping.  A couple minutes later, I knocked again because no one had come to the door.

A light flicked on, and then the door opened.  My mother’s husband, Lucas was standing in the door in a robe.  His hair was wet as if he had just got out of the shower.  "Hello.  May I ask who you are?"

Your step daughter, fuck nuts.  "I'm Tear Drop Mary Jane Davenport, your step daughter."  I held out my hand as if this were the first time we had ever met.

He took my hand.  "Yeah.  Tear Drop.  I didn't even recognize you."  He laughed.  I didn't find it funny. 

"Uh, come in. Come in.  Why do you have bags?"  Well.  Now I know that either he's stupid, or he just doesn't want me to stay in his perfect house.

"My mother told me that I could stay here for a while."  I lied.  I couldn't believe myself.  Mom wouldn't ever lie with me, would she?

"B-but what about school?  You... you didn't drop out, did you?"  I laughed, and shook my head no.  I took off my jacket and stood awkwardly by the door.  "Um...  I was just getting ready for work.  I'll go get your mother, make yourself at home." Lucas quickly walked away and I walked into their living room, and gasped.  It was huge.  The living room was even better than Evan's living room!

I sat down on the couch.  After I heard a bunch of hushed voices, my mother entered the room.  I stood up.  "Tear Drop!" Then she tackled me with her hug.  "Oh, God!  You're here!  I knew you would come since I asked you to come!"  She gave me a stern look that said, 'we'll be talking about that later.'  I nodded just a little bit.  "God.  You've grown so much!"  She kissed my forehead.  "Ah!  I need to show you something."

She grabbed my arm and led me upstairs.  "The house is beautiful, mom."  She smiled at me.

"Thanks, Hun."  She opened a door and we entered a room.  There were dusty boxes all over.  Most of them were opened and contents were spilling out of them.  Mom picked one up, and handed it to me. 

"Now, you must be tired.  Let me show you your room."

"My room?"  I asked, confused.

"Yeah, your room.  We made you a room for when I get custody of you.  It doesn't have much in it, but we'll fix that once you move in.  Look what's in the box later after you wake up.  I'll be at work, though.  But, Tear Drop?  It's Friday.  A school day. Why are you here?"

"I... Uh...  Ha.  Okay, I got suspended because I slapped a teacher and said 'fuck you' to him.  15 days."  And then my mother just stared at me, then started cracking up laughing.  I shook my head.

"I... Need...  To... Ha!  Get ready... For work.  Oh, God.  You're stupid."  Then walked out of my room.

I sat down on the bed and looked around.  Like mom said, it wasn't much.  But it was enough.  There was a bed, a T.V. and a desk.  And a closet.  It was better than the room I had in Michigan.  The covers on my bed were orange, and black.  There were matching pillows to go with it.  I got under the covers and snuggled into the bed.  It was so comfortable compared to my bed in Pontiac.  My bed at home was not comfortable at all.  It had a spring sticking out in the middle of the mattress, and the mattress itself is only like, 2 inches thick.  It's more like a couple blankets thrown together than a freaking mattress.