Chapter 28

October 10th

Estelle's tea party was somewhat of an event in the Jackson-Blofis household and Percy was looking forward to today's meeting. He always looked forward to seeing his little sister, but today felt extra special because he hadn't seen her in so long.

He knocked on the door to the apartment armed with a new Flounder stuffed toy for Stella and some flowers for his mom because he was a wonderful son that way.

"Percy!" As soon as the door opened, Estelle flung herself at his legs and jumped until he lifted her up. "I missed you." She wrapped her arms around his neck and nuzzled into his side, something that always made his heart ache to keep her this small and loving forever.

"I missed you too, little guppy." With her in one arm and the flowers and toy gripped tightly in the other, Percy has to nod for his mom to help him out before he can wrap her up in a hug. "Have you been good for mom, huh?" He shifts her so she's higher up his torso and presses a kiss into her hair.

Her short baby hairs tickle his chin and she mumbles about all the things she's done since she last saw him like bake cookies and watch lots of Blue Planet. Sally kisses his cheek and moves to put the flowers in a vase in the kitchen so Percy has a free hand to tickle his sister. She squeals in his arms and he breaks into a wide smile.

Percy and Estelle were practically inseparable when they were with each other. It was possibly to make up for the fact that he was usually busy with band business but he would never complain to have his sister attached to his hip.

"Tea party time!" Estelle shouted, wiggling away from his tickling hands and tottering off to fetch her crown collection.

Using his freedom wisely, Percy kisses his mom's cheek. "Good to see you, mom. How's Paul? How's your book coming along?"

She smiles that warm smile that he remembers from every happy memory from his childhood and pinches his cheeks in the way that makes him feel like an eight year old again. "Paul's good, he got a promotion. Head of department." Sally tips her head in the direction to their office, presumably where Paul is currently at work. "And the book's doing well. I've got a meeting with my publisher next week about a book tour."

Sally Jackson was possibly the greatest woman to ever walk the earth in Percy's humble opinion. She was the best mother, even under their tough circumstances, and she never once raised her voice to him growing up. There was an instance a few years ago where Percy had been spotted by the press beating someone up in a nightclub - he had a good reason but that's besides the point - and she had been furious, but even seven months pregnant, she had been quiet and calm when she chastised him. It was arguably more scary than yelling. She was the greatest inspiration to Percy growing up and she was always there as living proof that bad things happen to the best people and even despite that, you can still have a kind heart. Even at twenty-two years old, he was a mama's boy through and through and was very proud of everything she'd achieved as an author in the last five years.

Estelle returns with 5 crowns and her dad, interrupting Percy's moment of reflection.

"Hey, son." Paul greets Percy with a smile and a fatherly slap on the back. He and Paul had been cautious of each other when they first met. Both of them had loved Sally dearly and where Percy was protective, Paul just saw a troublesome kid. Well, no that's not fair. He saw a kid that was always in trouble. There had been a few years where they'd politely agreed to get along for Sally's sake, but eventually they'd made peace with each other. Besides Chiron, Paul was as close as Percy had to a father. In the last five years, they'd become surprisingly close, especially considering they didn't see an awful lot of each other now that Percy had his own apartment.

Paul lifts Estelle to his hip and she positions a plastic crown on his head. "King Daddy!" Laughing and cuddling into his side, she hands out the other crowns. Her own one is decorated with seashells, jewels and glitter. Percy knew from experience how difficult it would be to wash the glitter out of her hair tonight but you couldn't deny Princess Stella her favorite piece of jewellery. Sally and Percy received their own crowns and then Estelle looked puzzled and lifted the fifth into the air.

"Abeth not here?" She frowned at Percy quizzically.

Oh, so that's who the crown was for. Honestly, Percy thought it might be for Flounder - it wouldn't be the first time her stuffed toys joined in on the crown tradition.

He shook his head. "No, Guppy, she's busy at the minute." Wanting to hide Annabeth's exact whereabouts as to not ruin the surprise - he planned on getting tickets for her opening night and giving them to his mom for her birthday - he mutters something about Hazel being in New York to film. Estelle pouts but the moment is short lived and fixed by Paul providing one of many stuffed toys to wear the crown.

Estelle clambers up onto the couch and calls "Order, order!" before asking what was on today's meeting agenda. Somehow, her parents seem to inform her about current politics such as police brutality and the Black Lives Matter movement through the use of fictional kingdoms and citizens. Percy had tried to do something similar once but had ended up going on a rather crude rant about the orange troll that was in charge of the bird kingdom.

In his pocket, Percy's phone beeps. He quickly slides it onto silent. Sally raises an eyebrow when Stella isn't looking but he just shrugs, thinking nothing of it. Then it vibrates. Again. And again.

He shakes his head and apologises, checking his phone.

missed call from Chiron (3)

deathbreath answer the phone

pineconeface have u seen?

Hastily he types out a 'what??' to Thalia before mouthing a sorry to everyone and excusing himself to answer Chiron's next call.

"Get to my place ASAP. Get up to speed on the way here. Get in touch with Annabeth too, she deserves to know what's going on."