We're the Same

The silence suffocated the forest. Eren barely heard the gun go off, but a quick glance to Marco showed him the bullet landed in one of his back legs. The wolf yelped in pain, and dropped the body it attempted to pull out of the lake once more. The world paused for a second; so much was going on. Levi was laying in front of him, injured. Marco in the near distance, wounded. He himself had a few wounds. It was all too much.

He felt his cold chains press against his wrists contrasted by the warmth that touched his arm. He looked down, Levi had his eyes closed, but they were no longer furrowed in pain, "I told that idiot not to act without permission". Eren snapped his view to the trees where they last left Jean. He was no longer there. He looked behind him, and saw the light haired man standing, pistol in hand. His whole body seemed to be shaking - whether it was in anger or fear he could not tell - but his right arm remained still, holding the pistol calm and steady. It really did look like a part of him.

Marco stood motionless for a while, before sprinting off on a limp behind the large tree he used to hang the bodies on. Sasha jumped down from the trees when Marco was out of sight, and knelt down beside Levi with her medical box. She threw a fearful look towards Eren after glancing at the blood ridden tree, but shook her head to clear her thoughts, her concentration completely on Levi's wounds. Eren stood up from Levi and moved slowly towards Jean, who hadn't moved from his shooting position.

"Hey man, put the gun down. We came here to talk to Marco, not kill him", Eren tried to gently place his hand on Jean's shoulder.

Jean flinched when he felt Eren's hand on him, and his wide eyes relaxed from their shocked state, and adopted fury, "Talk?!" He shook off Eren's hand and pointed harshly to Levi, "That is what talking got you. You think Marco wants to talk? Look at yourself, look at all the claw marks. Look at the TREE Eren. Look at the people. The KIDS! Look at the dead children Eren, and tell me that talking will help here. Actually, maybe you're right, maybe he wants to talk now that the bastard realises you can't bring claws to a gun fight. He can talk if he wants, I'll talk to him". Eren didn't know what to say, but Jean didn't give him time to comfort him anyway.

"COME OUT FROM BEHIND THE TREE MARCO, SHOW ME YOUR FACE! I want to talk." A moment of hesitation and fear was felt by everyone in the forest that night. A rustle from behind the tree sent shock waves of anxiety through Eren. He dared not move. Marco was now half turned. His face still had the deep cut given to him earlier in the battle, and the blood running down his left leg had matted his leg fur. He limped to the front of the tree and Jean started his questioning again, "Why did you do this?! Why did you kill these children? For your own pleasure? Does it make you happy to see the life drain from their hopeful eyes? Does it make you happy to mutilate them beyond recognition? Does being a monster make you feel powerful?"

And just as Eren thought he couldn't be surprised any more than he already was, he held his breath as he watched Marco. He watched the strong, murderous, evil wolf, and he watched him cry. He stood there and cried. This man had spent god knows how long roaming the streets, kidnapping children, and ripping them apart. He had no right to cry, he wasn't allowed to feel regretful. If he was truly regretful he wouldn't have even killed the first child. "Don't play your little mind games with us!" continued Jean. "Why did you do all this?" He looked up at the gruesome bodies, and winced.

Marco wiped the tears and blood from his face, and for the first time, they heard his voice. "I didn't want to do this, I didn't want to be a monster like you", he gave a venomous look to Eren, "this cursed body, disgusting, a work from Satan. I read it, in Satan's book, I saw the twelve children, pinned up in a circle. If I lined up their lives in the shape of time, I could be born again. The Devil will accept my sacrifice once the twelfth child is up there, and time will turn back for me, back to when I was wholesome, and not the tainted fruit of the Devil. It's all I want. Please, she is already dead, let me finish. The children were not holy anyway. They resided in the streets, dirty and stealing. They would have ended up in a far worse place whether I interfered with their lives or not."

Eren was already back in his fangs and claws, hair growing longer with each passing second, chains shaking with his rage. There was no talking with Marco. He was convinced in his ritual. Marco addressed Eren directly, "You. You could join me. I see it in your eyes, I see the suffering in your eyes. Like me, you have killed against your will. What did you get to? An animal? A pet? One step away from taking a friends life. One step away from taking your family from you. A curse this body was, for I was a step too close. Hang up this last sacrifice, and you can join me, be human once more. I can no longer climb the tree with my leg. Help me and you can be free from the pain, the anxiety, the shame." Marco extended his his clawed hand towards Eren, who was still half turned.

Eren, suddenly feeling complex, hesitated. He understood. He understood Marco. He knew too well the pain of killing without will. He remembered the saddened faces of the children whose pets he had killed. He wasn't able to control himself like others could. He too, was a killer. A decision was in his hands, and he didn't know what to do.

A/N:
Me: "I can post this chapter at night and then my American readers can enjoy it while I sleep. I'll go through the notifications in the morning"

Comment spammers: *Laughs in 342 new messages*

P.S (It's okay i still love you guys)

P.P.S (Don't tell mom but you guys are my favourite)